Thread: Garmin Systems Problems

Default Garmin Systems Problems

Just took delivery of the new boat and purchased the complete garmin package with sonar, radar etc along with the connection to my VHF. With less than 15 hrs it now looks like the through hull transducer has failed and possible the black box. This is the garmin 3210 series.
    Has anyone else had problems with these and more important what has Garmin done to fix them- If you want to send me a pm and I can also let you know the dealer in case that has made a difference.

Is your black box an sd-20 or sd-22?

Have you called Garmin? There may be a simple fix. They've been very helpful the few times I've called them.

Default Adding network box and Radar causing Sonar Problems?

I have a similar setup (see sig), but the radar was delivered late, so it was installed just last week along with the Garmin network switch. The sonar had been rock solid previously, but this past weekend it gave me fits, not reporting depths even when I was not running. I was able to get it to settle down by changing freqs, but it was frustrating. I'm going to be talking with Garmin soon to see if I can get resolution if it continues.

SH

Default Talked with Garmin Tech Support

and they led me right to my problem. Apparently when playing with the different functions, the installation technician played with the range on my sonar, setting it to 30' . . . I changed it to "Auto" and will see how it goes this weekend - but it appeared to clear up the minute I changed it.

SH

I suggest not using the "auto" setting for range, but rather I found that it worked faster/better to adjust the range manually. Additionaly you can get the control the scale you see on you're sonar.
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

Default Garmin Issues

I am using the SD22 box. Had one last year in another boat and it had issues. We tried plugging in a new transducer thinking that was the problem and it actually made it worse. I had the problem with sonar not reading, skipping around. I tried manual settings, auto etc and none worked. SO am waiting on dealer and Garmin.