Thread: Kenai levels question

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Default Kenai levels question

OK Kenai gurus. I've never done great on the Kenai, I've decided to put in a little more effort this month. For those fishing the upper or middle for rainbows and dollies, what level fishes best?

Hope to have a decent float, a few fish would be a bonus. Thanks.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

it is best when the REDS do there thing 8 to 25 SEPT go for it

The Kenai will fish best when the water levels are lower, just check the USPS for updates. September will always be rainy, so prepare for them to go up this month. However, the good thing about the Kenai is that it can still be fishing decent at high water levels. In fact, I caught one of my biggest rainbows a couple of years ago when the water levels were very, very high. I personally will fish the river anytime I can until it is too cold to cast my fly rod due to freezing guides.

I've done very well during and right after a high water event in September. High water stirs up eggs and rotted flesh resulting in voracious feeding by dollies and rainbows.

Quote Originally Posted by AKFly7 View Post
    The Kenai will fish best when the water levels are lower, just check the USPS for updates.
    Don't know about you, but if the post office can't tell me when a package will arrive at its destination, I sure don't trust them for advice on important stuff - like fishing.

Ha! Yea... that would be USGS.... I typed that up as I was in line at the grocery store on my phone and it auto corrected.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ak/nwis/current/?type=flow

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Thanks. I've usually fished it in July or February - hopefully in the next week or two.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Quote Originally Posted by scott_rn View Post
    Thanks. I've usually fished it in July or February - hopefully in the next week or two.
    Don't bother. There are no fish in the Kenai anymore, jus stay home and watch football or reruns.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Don't know about you, but if the post office can't tell me when a package will arrive at its destination, I sure don't trust them for advice on important stuff - like fishing.
    Thanks for that, I literally spit on my screen laughing! Good medicine on a Friday night after a long week at work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk