Thread: Sake Finnlite 85 270 WSM

Default Sake Finnlite 85 270 WSM

Hey folks,

I'm going to get a 270 WSM in either the Tikka T3 or the Sako Finnlite 85. Does any one have the Finnlite and can you give insight on shooting the Barnes LRX 129 gr out of it? I know they are a longer bullet and maybe the seating depth would mess with the powder capacity of the short casing. This is all just speculation and I admittedly do not have very much reloading experience. I have been doing some research and I personally feel that the 270 WSM in tikka or sako finnlite would make the best sheep/ goat gun for a few reasons. This will strictly be a sheep and goat gun only.
    1. Weight of the rifle - 6 3/8 lbs
    2. Possible velocities of the loads - roughly 200 fps faster then a 270 win
    3. The flat shooting long range capabilities and BC of the Barnes LRX 129 gr bullets

Any Skao or tikka data and experience would be greatly appreciates!

Ever tikka I have shot is absolutely deadly accurate. However you would definitely feel a big difference in the quality of the two rifles. The 85 just feels like a more solid firearm.

I think you're on the right track with either rifle in a 270 WSM. I chose a Tikka T3 Lite in 300 WSM for all of my big game hunting in AK. Tikka's are known to be very accurate as is mine. After I purchased my Tikka I learned that the Tikka short mag's are not truly a short action. The Sako short mags are a short action and so the Sako should be about 2 oz. lighter than the Tikka. I agree with AK-Pilot that the Sako is better quality as the price reflects. It's my understanding that the barrels for Sako and Tikka come off of the same assembly line, i.e., any given barrel might go on a Tikka or a Sako. As you probably know, there's a big price difference between the two which was the deciding factor for me at the time. I've used and abused my Tikka for 10 seasons in AK and I've never, ever felt the need for a better gun. That's my plug for the Tikka. I have no experience with the caliber you are seeking. I threw in a few pics to get you dreamin - have fun!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have a few tikka's and a sako A7. All of them will put 4 shots in 3/4 inch or less. Trick is, with factory ammo you might have to play around to find out what each rifle prefers.
    Mine only like nosler accubonds or hornaday interlocks. If you reload i'm sure you will have a 1/2 inch rifle easily.

If you end up reloading, nosler ballistic silvertip, and accu bonds in 150 are great long range bullets, with a better bc than the 129 Barnes.

I have a tikka and so far it's a pretty good rifle. I would go with the sako if you can afford it. As far as the .270 wsm, if you can find some magpro powder you should be shooting big holes in no time.

Can't believe nobody has piped in about the need to carry a gun big enough to shoot a snarling 12 foot grizzer bear yet

I know several very accomplished hunters who swear by the Tikka. I most likely will be outfitting my #2 son with the Tikka in .308 this winter, and when I do it will be pushing the 165 grain accubonds, and like the previous post, I prefer them to barnes.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

We have both, a Tikka (270 win/my wifes) and Sako (Finnbear 30-06). While the Sako is nicer in terms of fit and finish either one will kill just as well and as accurately. If I were in your shoes I would opt for the tikka and use the remaining money for better glass. You can't shoot what you can't see. Pic of Tikka is pre-Ziess 3x9x50.
    Attached Images Attached Images

So I made my purchase. I bought the Sako Finnlile 85 in 270 WSM. I already have a Tikka 243 and its a tack driver. It doesn't care for factory ammo but reloaded ammo is 1/4" groups at 100 yards. That being said I guess I was just trying to get a push in the Sako direction so I could spend the extra money and see if they are as good as the price tag. I found a couple powders that I am going to try Magpro, Reloader 22 and IMR 4831.
    I have three bullets to try out
    1. Barnex LRX 129 gr
    2. Nosler Balistic Silvertip Hunting 130 gr
    3. Nosler Accubond 140 gr

If there is anyone with experience with this gun and the powder bullet combinations I've listed please let me know.
    Thanks for all the replies.

If only we had a forum dedicated to shooting...
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

74.0 grs of mag pro fed215 and 140gr accubond.

323 is on the money. Play with the mag pro and the accubonds and that thing will be shooting lights out.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    If only we had a forum dedicated to shooting...
    Stop being a buzzkill this forum needs all the help it can get! Everyone jumping ship and going to the other forum rokslide