Thread: Rust Converter

Default Rust Converter

Does anyone know who sells rust converter in Anchorage? I used to get it from Sherwin Williams but they don't carry it anymore.

I got something last year when I was restoring my rusty old trailer. Can't recall the product name but it may have been this:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_117792-69-01-80277-01_0__?productId=3339340&Ntt=rust+converter&pl=1&c urrentURL=%3FNtt%3Drust%2Bconverter&facetInfo=

Edit to add: Yep, that's the stuff. I think it's in the paint section next to the solvents and cleaners.

Default Rust Converter

I believe you are looking for something like Corroseal.
    http://www.corroseal.com

Their website lists Rodda Paint in Anchorage and Wasilla as a distributor. I'm sure if they don't actually have it, they can recommend a similar product.

I think the stuff ChugiakTinkerer referenced is rust REMOVER which is different than rust CONVERTER...

Rodda in Wasilla has Corroseal. It works good but from what I hear can be a pain to use. I ended up going to Sherwin Williams and picking up Osphos. It is a greenish thin liquid that you just spray on and it converts the rust. I used it on a trailer and have had great results with it. If you dig around in internet land you will see many different oppinions on rust converters from Osphos, corroseal and POR15. I think they all have there place and they all work but its the application and cost that helped me choose what I did.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Thanks guys, I ended up ordering Corroseal from Home Depot

Quote Originally Posted by AK Mauler View Post
    Thanks guys, I ended up ordering Corroseal from Home Depot
    Cool!!

AIH also has rust converters in spray and paint-on forms. Now my truck looks like a leopard!

We used to use a product called WR9 it chemically changes the rust and prevents it from continuing to rust. It is in liquid form and we would spray it on with a weed sprayer.

I used Permatex Extend on a rusty trailer hitch and it worked good. Comes in a rattle can so it's easy to apply. I have also used naval jelly rust and it does a good job.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I know this thread was started a while ago, but I noticed a recent post today and it reminded me of rust remover that I've tried since I last posted.

The stuff is called Evapo-Rust. According to the container, it's non-toxic. - It didn't burn through my rubber gloves or stink up the whole garage. So, that was a plus

I bought it from O'Reilly's.

I am rebuilding a motor and had a ton of rusty bolts and other steel parts and I'm really impressed with how well this stuff worked. Unfortunately, the items you're trying to remove the rust from will need to be submerged in the solution. So, that does limit the application to smaller items...

Anyway, just thought I'd add this just incase anyone else it interested.

Por-15 is great stuff.
    BK