Thread: Binos and Spotting Scope Recommendations

Default Binos and Spotting Scope Recommendations

So looking for everyone's opinions if you want to give em. I just sold my BassCat boat, as I don't think it would get much use in AK, and I have a little jingle in my pocket. I'm looking to buy a high end spotting scope and a set of Binos. I have a very old set of Leica binos I've used for years and I've never owed a spotting scope. Want your opinion on what I should get for an excellent scope and bino for AK. Thank you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by bighatlaw View Post
    So looking for everyone's opinions if you want to give em. I just sold my BassCat boat, as I don't think it would get much use in AK, and I have a little jingle in my pocket. I'm looking to buy a high end spotting scope and a set of Binos. I have a very old set of Leica binos I've used for years and I've never owed a spotting scope. Want your opinion on what I should get for an excellent scope and bino for AK. Thank you in advance.
    the only stuff I consider is leica or Swarovski.
    I have each, and if there any better, I have not seen them.

Same here. Love Swaro glass and have owned several pair of their binos and two spotting scopes. Never had issue one with any of them--but admit I tend to upgrade ever several years. One thing about good quality glass, it holds its value, especially if you buy smart first time around (i.e. used or on sale). Think Swaro still has their anniversary sale going that will save you 10%.

This year I went to the HD spotting scope since I can also use with digital SLR. If not into need for digit-scope, I wouldn't hesitate buying a used Swaro STS or ATS in either the 65mm or 80mm. I had a 65mm STS for several years and loved it. My new ATS 80mm HD is super nice, but admit the 65mm sure fit into my pack better.
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

The Vortex will compete with any of the expensive high end glass on the market. If your looking for quality with a great warrenty but don't want to be broke, The Vortex is where to start. Are they as good as Leica or Swarovsky? Some say they are better, some say they are close. No one will say they aren't worth what you pay.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

I really like my Vortex 12x50 Razor HD binos. I did not spend much time behind my Razor HD spotting scope in 20x60x85 but it seems pretty clear.

I did not perform any side by side comparison's.

In talking with Jake at http://www.alaskaguidecreations.com/contact.htm I would definitely check with him for comparison glass prices before you buy.

Thank you all so much for e opinions. So let's make this easier. I'm gonna buy Swaro products. I plan to hunt via my feet most of the time. Exactly which model and specs Swaro bino and scope should I purchase. I have $4800 to spend and I can get a decent deal on new Swaro glass via my employer. I only want to buy once. None of this wishing I could upgrade in a year stuff. Thx again.

Thank you all so much for e opinions. So let's make this easier. I'm gonna buy Swaro products. I plan to hunt via my feet most of the time. Exactly which model and specs Swaro bino and scope should I purchase. I have $4800 to spend and I can get a decent deal on new Swaro glass via my employer. I only want to buy once. None of this wishing I could upgrade in a year stuff. Thx again.
    10x42 EL Range
    20-60x65mm ATS HD

Thank you Zag.

10x42 no question for the binos. You can argue for days on the size of the spotters...

I have the 10x42 range. I got them at a demo sale. I think awesome is the correct word for them. Having an instant access to distance while glassing is the bomb.
    I also have other leica and swaro binocs but the range model is waaayyy above the others.

Vortex razor in both cases they're darn close to mid level swaro glass.

Yeah, I have the 20x60x65 Swaro HD. I've owned quite a few spotters...this is the best by far. Probably right there with Zeiss and Leica. I've owned a Zeiss spotter, but it wasn't the HD version.

If you're hunting via your feet, go with the 65mm. Only choice is angled or straight.

Can't really go wrong with 10x42s....If you're wanting to go really light, you might get something smaller and use the spotter to look closer.

Richard

If it were me I'd probably just hold onto the Leica binos you have as I'm sure there great, and just put that money you saved to the best Swaro you want. I have some old Swaro 7x42 binos and they won't ever go away till my son takes them from my dead hands.......lol.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!