Thread: Conditions on Raspberry Island

Default Conditions on Raspberry Island

Hello Alaskan hunters,
    Got a question for any of you who have ever had the opportunity to hunt Raspberry Island, or really anywhere in the Kodiak area. A friend of mine pulled an elk tag and asked me to come along to help out. If we get the elk quickly I was hoping to try for a deer. Trip is mid-November. It's not a guided trip, but the lodge we're staying at will drop us off/pick us up every day by boat.
    Now that you know some of the details of the trip, my question is - what are the hunting conditions like on the island? I have a good .308 that I was planning to take along, but don't have it scoped yet. What ranges do people normally hunt out there? My mental image of SE Alaska is that it's basically a rain forest, but that could be totally wrong. The rifle currently has iron sights but I have zero intention of shooting at anything further than 100 yards without a scope. So if you guys think that most shots are within 100 yards I might not even bother buying a scope for it.
    Appreciate any advice you gents can give me. Always tons to learn on this forum.

- Pete

I've never been but have heard that it is an amazing place. I have hunted Kodiak and someone in your party should probably bring something bigger than a .308, not for Elk or Deer, but if things go south on you. Lots of other predators on that island looking for elk or deer meat too. Check this thread out for more info. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...land+bears+elk

Probably this could be best answered by the lodge doing the drop-offs. He should have an idea of the terrain he'll be dropping you in.
    If you're bound to use a 308 (it might be considered a little light for bear protection and there are bears on Raspberry), be sure to use heavily constructed bullets (Nosler Partitions would be a starting point) weighing 180-200 grains. Shots could occur at 10 feet or 500 yards (if that kind of shot is within your abilities). Get a scope. Get a good one that is warrented to be waterproof. Leopold comes to mind. Either a straight 4x or a light weight variable 2x-7x or 3x-9x.

Absolutely, I'm planning on carrying a 12-gauge while he's hunting for elk. I can't afford an "all-around" rifle right now that I could use for bear protection and hunting, so my plan was to back him up with the mossberg until we get the elk, then hopefully we can spend a couple of days looking for deer. We'll be out there for a week, expecting the first and last days to be dedicated to transpo.

I have heard that hunt is tough.

I've got the cow tag and we're headed down October 29th for a week and staying with raspberry Island Lodge

Your going to love Raspberry Island Lodge. My wife and I have been there twice on fishing trips. Birch and Tiffany are great hosts. As for hunting conditions, think steep slopes down to the ocean lined with Sitka Spruce. Depending on the locations you may find trails up through the forest or grassy lower areas. My guess is that you will do most of your hunting above the trees - alpine tundra and grassy areas. You will definitely want a scope. Talk to Birch, he can give you lots of information. I can also tell you there is a trail that goes up from the lodge above the tree line. From that area, you can walk the length of the island above the tree line.

Here is a google earth image of the island and you see where the lodge is. Not much spruce really. Way more brush and open tall grass areas. Forget the the 12 ga. and carry the .308, also your buddies elk gun is sufficient for a bear. The 12 ga. is not a deer gun but the .308 will work ok in a pinch for a bear. There are nice deer around and you will see them, 100-250 yards shot is not uncommon and to be expected. If a nice deer is close to the boat and no elk for the day don't pass it up and wait for an Elk to be down. The rosie elk are bigger than rocky mtn ones so be prepared for at least 4 heavy loads on a decent sizes bull and 3 on a cow.

Don't buy the native permit, the elk don't spend anytime there and there are plenty of deer off the native land.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409713530.661979.jpg

I have shot deer at 20 yds. up to 300 yds. Not sure what your buddy is carrying for the elk hunt, but it should be enough for the bear. You will more than likely be hunting in some of the valleys which will give you the opportunity for longer shots. Terrain can vary for straight up to long valley floors. November is a great time you should see some rutting bucks at that time. Last year the lodge had some people take some really good bucks. Put on those hiking boots and good luck.

I'll be over there around the same time frame for elk, but with the recurve. Lots of tall grass and salmon berries. Saw lots of deer and elk over there this spring on my bear hunt.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts