Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shrimp season

Default Shrimp season

Overall, how has the shrimping/crabbing been this summer?

It was the best season I've had. Just shy of 4700 in 3 trips.

Crabbing has been great this year in SE Alaska. Saw 100+ crab in just over an hour of diving last weekend. Many in only 6' of water. I haven't been out shrimping yet myself; but I know some guys who went out last weekend and had 68 quart bags of tails; I think 90lbs or so.

Quote Originally Posted by 4whlr View Post
    It was the best season I've had. Just shy of 4700 in 3 trips.
    And this is why the ADFG need to put seasonal limits on the shrimp in PWS.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    And this is why the ADFG need to put seasonal limits on the shrimp in PWS.
    And yes, I am Jealous.

Bullelkklr, why is that a problem? That is enough to feed my family shrimp once a week for the year. No different than killing a caribou. And it's taken me 10 years to have a year like this. And I would much rather eat shrimp than caribou.

Some people kill the heck out of shrimp, and others don't. Don't blame the guys who have it figured out. How many dorks set their pots in 600 feet of water with 600 feet of line and cry about someone stealing their pots.

There is no shortage of shrimp in PWS.

Good on ya 4whlr. Get it while you can.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

What defines a "shortage" of shrimp?

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    What defines a "shortage" of shrimp?
    Good question. I don't think there is a shortage. The shortage is people who know how to properly catch em.

I think some of the popular areas are getting cleaned out. One area I have been hitting for three years used to yield five gallon of big fat shrimp now gives two gallons of just big enough to not fall thru the mesh on my pot shrimp. Have to move around and find new spots to find shrimp.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 4whlr View Post
    Bullelkklr, why is that a problem? That is enough to feed my family shrimp once a week for the year. No different than killing a caribou. And it's taken me 10 years to have a year like this. And I would much rather eat shrimp than caribou.
    I am too lazy to count and don't have OCD, so I just keep track of my harvest by the gallon. How many shrimp are in a gallon? Kind of nice getting enough shrimp for the year in a trip or two, eh? Nicely done.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    I think some of the popular areas are getting cleaned out. One area I have been hitting for three years used to yield five gallon of big fat shrimp now gives two gallons of just big enough to not fall thru the mesh on my pot shrimp. Have to move around and find new spots to find shrimp.
    agreed with that. I fished a spot all to myself for 3 years, took as many as I wanted and always plenty there. Went this year and there were close to 20 pots there. Got blanked on two sets. Unbelievable.

I going to have to remember this thread the next time someone bashes the commercial guys for ruining the shrimping in PWS!

Spoiled One, my best set was 305 shrimp. They were decent size, and almost filled a 5 gallon bucket, so figure it would take 65 whole shrimp to make a gallon. Tail wise, around 30 average size is a pound.

tlingitwarrior, thanks man. Its taken a while to figure it out, or I just got lucky this year. I have shrimped this spot before and never came anywhere close to these numbers. I think areas very from year to year.

Kodiak kid, what does this thread have to do with bashing commercial guys? They got like 66k lbs this year? So that comes up to 1,980,000 shrimp give or take. So that equates to 440 boats taking 4500+ shrimp each. My guess is that the average boater takes less than 1000 a year. That would mean 1980 (more or less) boats to equal the commercial quota, so who do you think takes the most? I would like to see what the actual #'s are. Does ADF&G publish the results of the harvest records?

about 3000 rec permits issued in PWS every year ! One of my better days shrimping was about 4500 bugs.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Everyone just keep doing what they are doing and eventually they will close it for everyone. PWS is not that big and has shown before that it can be fished out. Regulations on shrimping are coming so be prepared

Quote Originally Posted by keepin r' wet View Post
    Everyone just keep doing what they are doing and eventually they will close it for everyone. PWS is not that big and has shown before that it can be fished out. Regulations on shrimping are coming so be prepared
    That is exactly why. PWS is IMNSHO getting shrimped out. It is not sustainable under the current practices. ADFG has not a clue on how many shrimp are in the Sound. They regulate next year's harvest based on last year's Kill. If you we kill't a bunch last year, it must be okay to kill that many more next year.

I took about the same last year so it is not that don't know how to do it. I did not get it done in 3 days though.

150 pounds of shrimp is a lot of shrimp for one family I feel. Sure, that is just 2 pounds per week and I am sure that you will use them all. I did last year. I currently have 3 packages in my freezer from this year and if I can get off of work I hope to get some more before the season closes.

Quote Originally Posted by keepin r' wet View Post
    I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I couldn't disagree more. PWS is ENORMOUS. Do you have any clue how many 350-650 foot ledges there are in the sound? Sure there are spots that get over fished, but for every overfished spot there are 100 that don't get touched.

Not saying that its an unlimited resource but come on now, that sound is freaking enormous and there is no shortage of incredible habitat that has never seen a pot.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

True statement, there are areas in PWS that are overfished and need a break. There are more and more of these areas every year extending farther and farther into the sound. We are our own worse enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    True statement, there are areas in PWS that are overfished and need a break. There are more and more of these areas every year extending farther and farther into the sound. We are our own worse enemies.
    Don't disagree. But seriously, there are a million places to catch shrimp in PWS. Most folks see pots and think they should drop there as well. My best shrimp places, as well as fishing places are the spots nobody targets. Have some imagination and spend some time prospecting. You'll often be surprised by what you find.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast