Thread: Kenai river anchoring

Default Kenai river anchoring

Having a hard time getting my anchor to set on the Kenai. Using the anchor setup that came with the boat. "Kenai" style anchor but looks home made, about 7' of chain with a small buoy about 15' (guess) up the rope for quick release. Other boats seem to set anchor on the first try in the same area.

Got a picture of the anchor? I also think you don't have enough chain or scope on your rope.
    It's better to burn out than fade away.....

Try this. This works very well in the Columbia River.

http://www.columbiariveranchorsystem.com/

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

This weekend, as we were trying to set anchor and dragging down river, we actually snagged a true "Kenai" anchor and chain. I am going to swap out and try that one this weekend. I might have to big of a bouy as well. I do like the looks of that Columbia river "rocking chair" anchor and the cradle system

Though I no longer have it, I had a place on the lower river for many years. I always used the "Kenai River" anchor. They used to come in sizes. For successful and worry free anchoring, make sure your anchor is big enough, with 6-8 feet of heavy chain. Have about 40' of rode, you can always pull up on it if you're past your "spot", or tie off before you deploy the full length. Plus, it will allow you adjustment room when it gets crowded. If you use a buoy, attach it to a welded ring so it will slide to the end when released. These anchors set quickly, and generally will bring your boat to a halt fast, even on a low tide current (lower river). This set-up will work every time (except when the rode gets tangled around the flipper when you toss it). This anchor is not light, or lightweight, but you won't worry about coming off anchor every time a boat passes.

I don't see what is so special about the "Kenai" anchor. It's basically the same concept as a Dansforth with a frame. It worked ok in the slower muddy sections but wouldn't hold in the gravel. Has anyone tried one of the Columbia river anchors mentioned above?

I bought one of the Columbia river anchors today, test on Kenai Saturday!

So can someone post a picture of a "Kenai" anchor system?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Picture of a "Kenai" anchor and a "columbia river " anchor.image.jpgimage.jpg

Thanks. Id never heard that refered to as a "Kenai" anchor before.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I have the Kenai anchor, but I'm looking for something that can go in a cradle on the bow to free up the floor space. Anybody use a Bruce type on the river? How does it perform? Danforth type?

Just get the proper sized Danforth. I am often surprised at what people use for anchors.

Back in 'the day' drifting down the Quinault River with my Indian buds, we used half of an inner tube filled with gravel. Kept us drifting straight and didn't hang on stuff. If we wanted to slow down, we let out more line. Even more and we could stop. I remember one trip in an 18 foot flat bottom boat when we nailed a beautiful steelhead. My friend who was rowing said we could catch another if we drifted through the hole again. He rowed that boat upstream in swift water. The oars were bent to the point I thought he would break one. Drifted through and sure enough, nailed another one. Earl says, "You guys wanna drift through there again?" (3rd time) We told him no. He said, "Good, cause if you said yes, one of you was gonna do the rowing this time." I was logging back in those days, but doubt I could have got that boat back up to the top of the hole like he did. Strong as an ox.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

I have tried my 40# pyramid on the Kenai with my 16' Koffler driftboat.
    Holds great on the Kasilof but not much at all on the Kenai.
    But my Kenai river anchor holds great on the Kenai!
    I haven't tried any other styles.
    The Kenai river Anchor was developed locally for the Kenai and there's a reason they are so popular here.
    They just work well!
    I switched from a Danforth to a Bruce on my saltwater boat and couldn't be happier.
    Anchor styles make a big difference.
    And I can certainly tell the difference in how it hooks up and holds.
    Somewhere I have an old Danforth. If I can find it I might loan it to you for a test to see if it works with your boat.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Default Kenai river anchoring

That would be great. I'm in a 18' Hewes.

I ended up using the next size bigger "Kenai" anchor and it works great but I would also like it to fit my bow cradle. Much easier to work the anchor when alone or with the wife.