Thread: History of the Airstrips

Default History of the Airstrips

Greetings all,
    I frequently fly from Palmer to Homer and Seldovia. After I cross Turnagain Arm the direct route takes you along a road that follows the hills. In a couple spots along the road are airstrips that look like they were used for some serious stuff at one time. I'm wondering what the history is on these and hoping there's someone on here that knows what they were used for.
    For the guy who's going to reply something along the lines of don't land there, I get what the white X's are for, I'm just wondering if anyone knows what the history of these strips are.

There is a gas pipeline along through that area and the road you see pretty much follows the path. I believe those old strips were there to support the construction project when it was up and running.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

You know, the history of Alaska's airstrips might be an interesting historical research project and maybe even a book project, if anyone knows a guy with a history degree who can't find work.

I drove through some of those strips last year. I don't think you could land a plane on most of them unless you cut some alders down. Most of them are overgrown.

Real Men just land on the Alders........

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak kid View Post
    I drove through some of those strips last year. I don't think you could land a plane on most of them unless you cut some alders down. Most of them are overgrown.

I'm guessing this is mystery creek road?
    The first strip there may be doable but I'm not 100% sure.
    It certainly wouldn't take much to make it usable.
    And yes that road follows a pipeline. They did some work on it a couple years ago as the pipeline was becoming exposed and you had to drive over it in spots.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

We used to refer to the big Herc strip close to the mountains as the Chevron strip. I didn't make it up, it was taught to me by older guys that I flew with.

A good place to start is to get a copy of the 1958 "Alaska Airport Directory". And, no, you can't have mine, which carries the number 613.