This was my second and most strenuous attempt of 2014 at my first Dall Sheep. It also marks my 5th overall attempt to date. My partner, mossyhorn, also has 5 hunts under his belt but has one sheep so far to show for it. We waited almost 3 days for weather to clear enough to even make it into the mountains and it never did clear enough to get to our first or second choice spots. We took a gamble and picked a backup plan and headed out. The flight out started off pretty uneventful with pretty decent weather. We left the Willow Airport at almost 5:30pm
But as we got closer to the Alaska Range, it would quickly turn nasty.
We unloaded the plane in pouring rain and bid farewell to the pilot for a week.
The early part of the hike just followed the river
And after a little over 2 miles the rain slowed down to a drizzle.
Pretty quickly it became picking our way through a couple sections of trees.
As we entered the main drainage we were going to hunt it opened up from time to time, but the terrain was going to quickly get tricky.
At 5 miles in it was after 9pm and starting to rain a little harder, so we decided to make camp for the first night.
The following morning we picked our way up the glacial moraine and see if we could find some high spots to glass from.
There were lots of obstacles to maneuver around, over and through and was some difficult terrain to hike through with 50lb packs...