Thread: Flying flag from VHF Antenna

Default Flying flag from VHF Antenna

I'm wanting to fly a 12"x18" flag and was thinking of securing it to the VHF antenna. I don't know if this would effect radio transmission/reception. I would like to hear some opinions on whether this is a good or bad idea...

If I do mount to antenna, I was thinking of using a mount like this:
    5102AND64BL._SX425_.jpg

I can't tell a lot from the picture. I would think the added stress would eventually break the antenna. Until that happen you won't have any problems.

+1 to MacGyver's statement. Not likely to have noticeable affect on reception/transmission, but likely to hasten mechanical damage and failure.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

tie it on to the stick and keep it low close to the mount and i don't think you'll have any problems.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

You're getting good advice here. A composite type antenna is the best to use for this purpose as well as they tend to be more rigid than a stainless steel whip. As for RF conductance, that flag and zip tie will be completely invisible to the RF.

One thing you might do is look up the specs on your antenna. Every antenna has a maximum wind load rating in lbs per sq ft of antenna surface that equals out to x miles per hour of wind speed before failure, and this is largely based on the size of the antenna element. (Most big, directional antennas are in the 70 mph range, so I bet yours is at least that much.) That might give you an idea of the relative physical strength of your antenna, but you can also get a rough idea at least of how much effect that flag is having on your antenna. (And yes, flying it higher will cause my leverage etc etc.) 12x18 isn't very big.

73's

I used to run a 25 foot commercial assistance tow boat here in Florida, with a flag on each antenna. Secured by zip-ties and tape. Guessing they were just about 12x18 also. Put 800 hours a year on that boat running up to 40 knts. The only problem I had was the flags would need to be replaced after only a few months. The sun and wind would have them shreaded quickly. It will not affect your transmission or reception.

Thanks for the advice! I think I'm going to give it a shot. If my antenna breaks in half, I'll be sure to let everybody know

Quote Originally Posted by mbarth View Post
    If my antenna breaks in half, I'll be sure to let everybody know
    Sure. And if you need any assistance, just give us a call...on the...uh...well....just yell real loud.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Sure. And if you need any assistance, just give us a call...on the...uh...well....just yell real loud.
    I also carry a handheld VHF and an aviation radio, so I'm sure I'll be able to get help if I need it. Nice one though