Thread: ATV recovery questions/help?

Default ATV recovery questions/help?

My fiances wheeler broke a tie rod this weekend. I was unable to make a repair that I felt comfortable with her riding on to get out safely. So despite what some people may say, I left it out there. It was the safest choice for my soon to be wife. Here's what I'm wondering...obviously I can ride back in and take the part that I need, fix it, and then she can ride it back out. But I thought I would ask the forum first if anyone had any other ideas. I saw tons of big trucks, flatbeds, track rigs, etc...that could easily fit her 350 on board and drive it out. So is there anyone who has anything that could get it out that I could pay and go with to bring it back out? Or is there any type of trailer I could use to put her machine on. (Or something to that effect?) just wondering if there are any other options other then me just going back in and fixing it. It's in unit 13 by eureka.

Also...I don't need to hear any criticism regarding leaving the machine. So please just any helpful suggestions would be great. You can PM me or text or call me at 841-6569. Thanks

-Adam

Go back with a used/new tie rod and drive out.......thats the best way, if possible. Doing the safe thing is always the right thing
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Why would folks bust your balls about leaving a machine out their? **** back in swede lake trail I seen everything left out their due to mechanical failure. Hell I left my brand 6x6 back their because of the transmission broke. We went in a week and half later with a new tranny. We left a 6x6 out their last yr blown motor month later they went back in and put another motor in it. **** happens

323- so far people have been great on here. But many people have asked why I didn't limp it out, try and fix it, etc...but I did. I had it zip tied and wired Into place. But nothing even close to good enough to let my fiancÚ ride out across the river and up monument. I've got a game plan and it should be fine. I was just checking on other ideas. Thanks again for the support. It's funny because this was my fiancÚs first time hunting and I've told her how good people are out there and how helpful everyone is because it could be you. But right at the parking lot when we were about to head in some guy pulled up with a big trailer and track rigs yelling at us that we were blocking the ramp? Apparently that was the only hill he liked. I apologized and moved, he ended up unloading somewhere else anyway though. But it was not a good "first impression" to my soon to be wife and lifetime hunting partner. But I promised her most guys out there would be good. Luckily we got to help some other people and met some other great people so all in all it was a great trip. And I got a caribou. But she was pretty bummed at the beginning of that trip. Thanks again for the offers to help!!! They are appreciated.

It happens, I've been with several people that have had to leave a snow machine over night, never had a problem.

The good part is you weren't out there alone!

Biggest threat to that machine is a bear, but there should be enough people around to keep them clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess the only thought that comes to mind is, you may have not been comfortable with her riding it out, and I'm sure rightly so...but why didn't you let her ride your rig and you try to baby it out. That's what I would have done. Safety first of course and I'm not second guessing your decision to keep her safe, but I would have tried that first and then gone out later with a replacement part if I wasn't able to make it out.

AZinAK

AZ- I tried. I drove it a little after each "fix". But as soon as I would turn the tires it would pop back off. It's the tie rod end right where it connects to the steering posts. So there was no way to get the joint to stay up. Even after tons of attempts. The reason I wasn't comfortable with her riding it out is because I wasn't comfortable riding it out. Should have clarified that I tried riding it between fixes in my original post. The only thing I found to work was to walk beside the machine and kick the tire the direction you wanted it to go as you went. And at that rate it would have been a 15 hour ride out. No thanks...I'll risk leaving it.

For now it looks like I'll be able to take the part in and fix it then have her ride it out. I was just curious in case there's something I could do in the future if this sort of thing happens again. I'm sure it will happen many more times over the years. I've had an offer of a guy to just ride in with me and help me fix it when I get the new part.

Take the broke side off and add a crutch or tie the front end off the ground to the rear of the other wheeler.I've three wheeled in a jeep before,slow but works.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by ak_mathews View Post
    AZ- I tried. I drove it a little after each "fix". But as soon as I would turn the tires it would pop back off. It's the tie rod end right where it connects to the steering posts. So there was no way to get the joint to stay up. Even after tons of attempts. The reason I wasn't comfortable with her riding it out is because I wasn't comfortable riding it out. Should have clarified that I tried riding it between fixes in my original post. The only thing I found to work was to walk beside the machine and kick the tire the direction you wanted it to go as you went. And at that rate it would have been a 15 hour ride out. No thanks...I'll risk leaving it.

For now it looks like I'll be able to take the part in and fix it then have her ride it out. I was just curious in case there's something I could do in the future if this sort of thing happens again. I'm sure it will happen many more times over the years. I've had an offer of a guy to just ride in with me and help me fix it when I get the new part.
    Yeah, you didn't mention that and only mentioned multiple times that you weren't ok with her riding it out. Was the only reason why I mentioned it.

AZinAK

Anytime your dealing with Monument, you don't want to play with a "crutch" to get back. You made the right decision. That hill has maimed people on good machines. With that said, I would take a new tie-rod in and replace. Putting it on a trailer and pulling it up monument would be risky. The flat creek trail would be doable but there is one pretty good mud hole to deal with and it wasn't fun last week. I have never done the outter loop trail so can't weigh in on that option.
    Now that you broke a tie-rod, replace both of them and keep the one thats on the machine for a spare in case you have the problem again.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Akbliss- that was my exact thought. I'll be heading in this weekend it's looking like. Monument on Friday night going in with the pouring rain was nasty!!! Luckily coming back out it was dry so it wasn't too terrible. But man Friday night sucked. It was scary driving down hauling a trailer, let alone watch my fiancÚ drive down it. She did great though.

I agree... leave the machine there till you can put on the repair parts...

be safe, whats the worst that can happen there?
    Someone try to ride it out, and you have to claim lost and stolen on yer insurance???

a bear munch a little cushion?

Be Safe- take your time on the repair.. those threads on my old machine were a pain in the tuch to get excatly right

Chris

Yep exactly right...I've had a few offers from some guys that are more mechanically inclined than I. So I'll take someone up on the offer and head in this weekend to get it. Thanks again for the reassurance of making the right call.

I broke a tie rod on my 6x6 ranger, and used a metal spike, laced it around the broken pieces with bailing wire, and then wrapped it all together with a full roll of emergency tape. drove out 12 miles of nastiness gingerly. the engineers at polaris made tie rod, and steering box assembly all 1 piece. could have changed it in the field, but no one in state had the parts.
    its better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...

Looking out for your gal was the right decision. Go back in with your gal and a buddy and fix it and the 3 of you can each have a machine to ride out. Shoot a big critter on the way back!

.338 Thats the plan... Except I already filled my tag when we went up there before!!! I shot a cow last weekend.

You absolutely did the right thing. Monument is nothing to scoff at at times. I nearly had a disaster there last fall with my heavily loaded Ranger and trailer with my bride on board and her bou. Rained extensively and was torn up bad near the bottom. Kicked sideways and I plowed a few alders but kept her going. I also overheated big time going up there this summer (fan died) right after what I call "seat cushion knoll" at the top of the really steep area at the bottom (you can figure out why I call it that ). I've seen people tow a wheeler up there (one in front, one behind) but looked sketchy and that was during a dry spell).

Go back in, fix it, and drive it out unless you find someone with a big rig willing to help out (sorry for your bad experience at the beginning, I really don't understand some people's kids).

The plus side is your fiance has learned that hunting does not involve "sitting in camp drinking beer and eating Chetos with your buddies" and that sometimes stuff happens that prevents you from getting back to civilization at the precisely prescribed time you indicated and that is not necessarily reason to start hyperventilating.

The machine is home safe and sound! We got back and found our water, gas cans, tent, and wheeler all left exactly how we left it. The tie rod end was incredibly easy to put on. Getting the old one off on the other hand took a lot of rust buster and elbow grease. Thank you everyone for the input and my decision to leave the machine worked out good for us this time. Be safe out there!

Thanks...Adam