Thread: DIY Electric Bear Fence

Default DIY Electric Bear Fence

Hola, I promised to share with you all the bear fence I put together. Here's the package:

IMAG0661_zps0dd9f8a7.jpg

Starting at high noon and going roughly clockwise we have
    • 8 carbon arrow fence poles(16 arrows total). Cost me the arrows in my repair bin plus a few more from CL at $1 each. About $6 in inserts and glue and $5 for the 8/32 headless bolts. Straps are from old toe clips. Item total ~ $20
    • 4 fiberglass fence poles. These are the 4' yellow fiberglass driveway markers from Lowes, cut in half with a cutoff wheel. 5" of aluminum tubing and some silicone caulk for each ferrule connection. Item total ~ $18
    • 2 grounding rods, 12" galvanized spike. Item total $1.20
    • 2 ground wires with clips. The alligator clips come with the charger and I used 6' of 14 gauge wire on each. Item total ~ $3
    • 6 plastic gate handles. Item total $12
    • 1320' of 6-strand polywire. Item total $35
    • 2 extension cord winders. Item total $10
    • 2 Zaremba B10LI Low Impedance fence charges (the Yellowjacket model). Runs off 4 D-cell batteries, or 6V or 12V. The alligator clips I presume are for a 12V battery. I used them for ground wire, if you use an external battery you'll need something else. Item total $194
    • Fi-Shock multi-light electric fence tester. It works fine in my garage, but outside on a sunny day I could barely see the lights. Moderately useful but probably better off going upscale. Item total $10
    • 36 eyelets for anchoring the polywire to each fence pole. Fashioned out of zip ties, two per eyelet. Two small loops, one sized to just slide onto the fence pole. Item total ~ $2

This gives me two fence enclosures, one for camp and one for my rafts. Things I still need to get are a bag to put it all in, tiedowns for the corner fence poles, and a couple stakes to attach the charger to. The fence posts are too wobbly to hold up the charger.

Total costs for two fence kits is $405.20. The Bear Shock Ultralight and Outfitter packages together cost $570. My kit is heavier but more capable. https://store.udap.com/merchant.mvc?...egory_Code=BEF

One item I bought but did not include is a polywire tensioner. The ones I got are pretty heavy duty and just weigh too much in my opinion. I'll probably bring a few with my on my float hunt this year but I'm more likely to just re-tie the polywire if it gets loose. This is the item : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...uct_refresh_T1

Oh yeah, need some flagging. The polywire isn't exactly high-vis stuff and you want a bear coming in curious and slow. Here's a pic of the top polywire connected to four poles in a 25 x 25 square.

IMAG0658_zps6d05b8b8.jpg

I'll follow up with a field report in a couple weeks.

so how did the field test go?

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Thanks for putting this list together. I also made my own fence and it has worked well. I bought the speedrite an90 energizer, which is a bit heavier than the one they sell in the udap kits but it delivers 3 times the shock.
    I grabbed it, it was a pretty decent shock.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Well, my field test last year didn't happen. I was out, but I never put up the fence because I never was in an area with much bear sign. Also didnt stay in one place very long. Might have cause to use it this fall.

I am putting together an electric fence system and am wondering what you do for gates. Do you have multiple sections of short wires to fence portions of your enclosure with multiple gates? Or did you figure out some way of using one continuous wire to enclose the entire desired area and still have multiple gates?

I configured my system with just one gate using two strands of polywire. I still haven't field tested my setup so I don't know how much the wire will sag using the insulated gate handle. You might need extra pole support at the gate.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

If you use a spring loaded gate handle it will take care of any sagging wire.

Quote Originally Posted by ChugiakTinkerer View Post
    I configured my system with just one gate using two strands of polywire. I still haven't field tested my setup so I don't know how much the wire will sag using the insulated gate handle. You might need extra pole support at the gate.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    Thanks. I am using 1/2 inch poly tape and I guess to start off with I will probably just use one long length run 3 times around the circumference and splice the ends with the rest of the fence so that electrically there are no ends. During the day I will just unhook the splices and turn the energizer off so as to have a "gateway". I'll probably just go with this configuration for a while until I see how it is going to work before I start cutting the poly tape into shorter lengths. Thanks again for the input.