Thread: Coating the bottom of a Soar canoe

Default Coating the bottom of a Soar canoe

Many have mentioned the bottom of the SOAR canoes being quite "grabby"..

I had no idea just how grabby they are...downright scary is my take on it from my test run... with a load a mid river rock will simply stop the canoe..

Has anyone experimented with a coating of some kind?

Urathane?.. wax??

has to be something to reduce the friction.

Also emergency patch kits... I have two... one from my PR-49, and the other from the SOAR..

I also carry a roll of TYVEK take, and have a few pieces of bituthane(foundation wrap).. very sticky..

Glue on the SOAR kit is dried up.. what's the proper replacement?...any other clever patch ideas to carry?

All SOAR boats use neoprene on the bottom. This material, while extremely abrasion-resistent, grips when it's wet (that's why car tires are made with neoprene). I have not heard of anyone coating the bottom of a SOAR boat with urethane. You might call the folks at Alaska Raft and Kayak on this question, as they regularly take on projects of this kind. They can also set you up with a proper repair kit. Your glue should never be allowed to freeze, by the way, and you should replace it every couple of years.

You might consider picking up some Tear-Aid tape while you're at it; the stuff is incredibly strong and sticky, and you may have better luck doing field repairs with it than trying to glue a patch in damp, cold conditions typically found on the river. ARK has that as well. There are two types, by the way. One if for plastics (PVC and Urethane) and the other is for rubber (Hypalon / CSM and Neoprene). Be sure to get the right one!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thanks Mike

Yea, in light of how many moose have been hauled out in SOAR canoes here it's obviously doable.. but wow... in my test run I hit a mid water rock, and felt like I'd get thrown over the handle bars... takes some getting used to.. I'm used to sliding off them in my hard shell canoe...very forgiving.

thanks for the repair kit info... I'll call around tomorrow and see what coatings may have been used. seems there must be something...

leaving in two days...

Anyone intereted...

I called AK raft, and Kayak...great folks BTW.. extremely helpful.

They didn't miss a beat when I told them my concerns... they coat SOAR canoes all the time... FLEX TOUGH urathane..

they prep the surface, paint it... and it must cure 72 hours...

Typical of how I do things... that's about when i hit the river..

Anyway.. interesting they have addressed this issue..

Quote Originally Posted by anchorrivercrowds View Post
    Anyone intereted...

I called AK raft, and Kayak...great folks BTW.. extremely helpful.

They didn't miss a beat when I told them my concerns... they coat SOAR canoes all the time... FLEX TOUGH urathane..

they prep the surface, paint it... and it must cure 72 hours...

Typical of how I do things... that's about when i hit the river..

Anyway.. interesting they have addressed this issue..
    Good info! Now that you mention it, I think I did see one in there a while back, getting a urethane coating. Neoprene is great stuff when it comes to abrasion-resistance, but not so good dragging over wet rocks! How much did ARK charge to do one?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Mike

I think they quoted me a price, and to be honest I forgot(entire job)... I bought a quart of the Urethane from them, and plan to do it myself.

they sell gallons for 275, and pro rate any smaller amount at the same price.. a quart was about 80 bucks.. he showed me some repairs done with that product, and it really looks impressive.

What's it called, I'd like to try and find some around Fairbanks.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Flex tough I am pretty sure..