Thread: Volvo Penta engine oil

Default Volvo Penta engine oil

What is a good replacement oil brand to replace the costly Volvo Penta Synthetic Motor Oil? I've been using Mobile 1 SAE 15/50 synthetic but that is not always easy to find.

Well it depends on whether or not you are under warranty, or if it is a gas or diesel engine. Are we talking a D6 370 IPS or an AQ130 with a 270? If you are dumping it into a 5.0, 4.3 who cares.

At the end of the season it is important to change your oil because used motor oil is acidic and you don't want that sitting in your block all winter.

Sobie2

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    Well it depends on whether or not you are under warranty, or if it is a gas or diesel engine. Are we talking a D6 370 IPS or an AQ130 with a 270? If you are dumping it into a 5.0, 4.3 who cares.

At the end of the season it is important to change your oil because used motor oil is acidic and you don't want that sitting in your block all winter.

Sobie2
    I'm running a gas 5.7 Gi, 280Hp. I always change engine oil in the Fall. I still can not believe Volvo Penta oil is that superior and no, I'm not covered by warranty. Also would like to find gear oil replacement for dual prop Volvo drive unit. Thought I once heard the Homer Volvo Dealer recommended Delo400 30wt. Anyone know about this or have suggestion?

Leveen,

I have been looking for a couple of Duoprop owners to get together and buy a 55gal barrel of lower unit gear lube. Waaaay cheaper that way. Not common but when it pops up for sale I'd sure love to snap it up and change whenever the season/hours dictate. Oil is cheap...unless you buy it by the gallon. I'd assume that you use the Synthetic 75W-90 gear oil...

Iceking02

Quote Originally Posted by IceKing02 View Post
    Leveen,

I have been looking for a couple of Duoprop owners to get together and buy a 55gal barrel of lower unit gear lube. Waaaay cheaper that way. Not common but when it pops up for sale I'd sure love to snap it up and change whenever the season/hours dictate. Oil is cheap...unless you buy it by the gallon. I'd assume that you use the Synthetic 75W-90 gear oil...

Iceking02
    Bob,
    I used to buy my drive oil at Inlet Petroleum in town, i bought it in 5 gal pails it was a chevron product that had the same specs as the volvo oil, i do remember it was orange amber color, used it for many years in the drive that had 11,000 hours on it. By the way i only changed the oil in the drive once a year and i averaged 800-1000 hours/year but i did have a aftermarket oil level tank installed so i could always see the level and color of the drive oil, it was called a Unit Saver. Used Delo 400 in the engine. They also had all the filters for that 41 volvo engine they used to have WIX brand filters, if anyone needs the numbers pm me. Another fish choking buddy of mine used to buy his "volvo oil" at walmart and never had any problems with his drive.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Steve,

Thank you for the information as usual. I'll give them a try. Yup, I've been able to find the correct gear oil at a "bargain" for only $35/gallon...provided that I purchase a 55gallon barrel. When it's $100/gallon retail I'd SWEAR there was gold in it!

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by IceKing02 View Post
    Steve,

Thank you for the information as usual. I'll give them a try. Yup, I've been able to find the correct gear oil at a "bargain" for only $35/gallon...provided that I purchase a 55gallon barrel. When it's $100/gallon retail I'd SWEAR there was gold in it!

Bob
    Its been a long time since i bought it but it might have been 100 bucks for the 5 gal pail ?? That oil must be made by the folks that make prescription meds ???

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Bob,
    I used to buy my drive oil at Inlet Petroleum in town, i bought it in 5 gal pails it was a chevron product that had the same specs as the volvo oil, i do remember it was orange amber color, used it for many years in the drive that had 11,000 hours on it. By the way i only changed the oil in the drive once a year and i averaged 800-1000 hours/year but i did have a aftermarket oil level tank installed so i could always see the level and color of the drive oil, it was called a Unit Saver. Used Delo 400 in the engine. They also had all the filters for that 41 volvo engine they used to have WIX brand filters, if anyone needs the numbers pm me. Another fish choking buddy of mine used to buy his "volvo oil" at walmart and never had any problems with his drive.
    Steve are you telling us you had 11,000 hours on an "outdrive"

Amsoil 15W-40 Heavy Duty Diesel Marine is easy to find and should work well and many of the charter guys run the Marine gear lube in their drives.

Quote Originally Posted by Halibutgrove View Post
    Steve are you telling us you had 11,000 hours on an "outdrive"

Amsoil 15W-40 Heavy Duty Diesel Marine is easy to find and should work well and many of the charter guys run the Marine gear lube in their drives.
    yup my only & last experience with outdrives, first one on the boat blew up after about 2000 hours then i learned how to BABY the next one and of course i had the best volvo outdrive guy in the state do any of the regular work on it, i changed u joints every 1000 hours, changed the drive oil once a season(800-1000 hours) and put a couple of shaft seal kits in it. I think what really made it last was the "unit saver" that i put on it, it kept the gearbox totally full of oil and running the exhaust out the stern instead of thru the drive helped keep back pressure down and those drives were known to "burn thru" because of the high sulfur in the fuel here, guess that might be gone now with low sulfur fuel.
    I certainly like the John Deere and Twin Disc i have now much better than those pos eggbeaters.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692