Thread: Deer back strap recipes for crock pot?

Question Deer back strap recipes for crock pot?

We are looking for some really good recipes for deer back strap (whitetail) for the crock pot due to our busy work schedule. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by THE_HUNTERIAM View Post
    We are looking for some really good recipes for deer back strap (whitetail) for the crock pot due to our busy work schedule. Thanks!
    I'd save those back straps for another day. Use other parts of the deer for crock pot.

i love to grill or fry my back straps.

Seems almost like a waste to use a prime cut like backstrap in a slow cooker! I usually use roasts, or tougher cuts of venison for the crock pot. Not saying there is anything wrong with using backstrap though!

I like to put a roast in the crock pot with potatoes, carrots, onions, and whatever else and make a stew. However I like a good venison slow cooked chili more than anything else!

I usually bread and pan fry my backstrap, or like YC said, they are great grilled.

Agree with the above. Backstraps on grill or in frying pan. They don't need slow cooking. Crock pot/braising is needed for tougher cuts.

Great info! We will be using the grill I think. What do you add and how long to grill at what temp. ?

Salt, pepper, and a little garlic. Sear them on both sides and serve them rare. JMHO
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Quote Originally Posted by THE_HUNTERIAM View Post
    Great info! We will be using the grill I think. What do you add and how long to grill at what temp. ?
    Regular temp. I like wild game med rare or even rare. I just sear the outside. How thick are they? If I fry them, a little flour with salt and pepper on top. Sometimes I use garlic. You can also use the strips to wrap jalapeņos and some bacon. Just don't over cook them.

For the grill, I usually just use some salt/pepper/olive oil; really lets the clean backstrap taste shine. On the grill I like to cook mine Medium, so that it is thoroughly done but with a nice pink center. Don't overcook your backstrap or it will get dry and chewy. If I fry backstrap, I cut it into medallions, and then soak in milk and dredge in a mixture of flour/salt/pepper/garlic powder and then fry it golden brown. Probably my favorite way for backstrap.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug in Alaska View Post
    Salt, pepper, and a little garlic. Sear them on both sides and serve them rare. JMHO
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    Regular temp. I like wild game med rare or even rare. I just sear the outside. How thick are they? If I fry them, a little flour with salt and pepper on top. Sometimes I use garlic. You can also use the strips to wrap jalapeņos and some bacon. Just don't over cook them.
    ^^^This^^^
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

You all are great! Thanks!

Season them a day or two before and the night before you cook them put some olive oil in the baggie. Sear it hot at first then turn and sear. Then slow cook them to medium rare-ish 135 deg F.

Let it rest for 5-7 minutes before you cut it. Cover it in tinfoil and a towel while resting to keep it warm.

Good eating grilled or fried. I use garlic salt and black pepper and also serve rare or medium rare. I use the tougher cuts in the crock pot and cook much more than I will eat with carrots, potatoes, and onions. After eating a couple days I will simmer in crock pot or on stove and add all kinds of vegetables with canned tomatoes and tomato juice and make vegetable soup. Before I add the tomato juice and canned tomatoes I take about half of this out and let it cool. I then freeze it for later use. i just put it in the pot and add tomatoes and let it simmer a while. Very good eating in cold weather.