Thread: DM403 Big Lake info please

Default DM403 Big Lake info please

This year my father and I drew the DM 403 antlerless moose permit which is the Big Lake area. Looking at google maps the only foot accessible area i found was right on the trails near horse shoe lake. Is there any other trails or areas around there where we would be able to walk around? My father cannot walk long distances so we are hoping to find an area close to the road. If you do not want to post any info on this post please feel free send me an email at angalga@gmail.com. We have never hunted near a city before and so any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Sent you an email with a few ideas. Best of luck.

been cruising some roads in big lake area, had a cow with a calf in my yard first thing but calf was nursing and didn't shoot her mom. Only saw two sets of moose tracks crossing the roads. very little sign or activity. never did see a moose. things seem pretty slow.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

You have this tag too, Jake? I know you live in the area and know what you're doing, but to the OP - if you're still looking to fill this tag, let me know. My wife and I filled a couple cow tags up there in November and I've had some luck in other years as well, so I'd be happy to tell you what I know.

My ten year old has this tag Brian. November this place is racid with moose,
    I have a family of seven so we can pretty much only road hunt. I'd be open to pointers if anyone has them?!
    Master guide 212

Thanks AKFreezerFiller, My dad was able to tag a Moose last night. We were real fortunate that it was not a long walk so my dad was able to enjoy himself. It looked like there was alot of moose taken last night. Talked with 3 groups that hunted ahead of us and they all tagged thier moose. It seems like the evening hunt has been better for many people than the morning. I was out every morning around Horsehoe for the last 4 days and didnt see anything but when I walked there last night I seen at least 6 cows and one bull.

I drew that tag as well.. I killed a 900 lb cow 10 minutes after daybreak on opening morning. I always see more moose in the morning in that area. That is a great tag, if I had not gotten a moose yet I would hunt the big lake side of that tag, or Burma road area. I shot mine out by big lake area. There is a lot of 4 wheeler trails around there as well. I shot mine off the side of the road tho. Good luck! That tag has an 81% success rate btw. There is a severe over population of moose in that area. Better they end up in someone's freezer , than dead in the road from a car.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well I've got around a hundred miles on back roads in the big lake area and Burma road twice. Seen two calves from this year, moms
    Gone....that's it for us so far. Got one or two days left before I head back to the slope. Little
    Man is hoping we find something...me
    Too!
    Master guide 212

Where you able to find some moose BRWNBR? I've been trying to fill my antler less tag but I'm not having the same luck as my dad did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found one cow off west lakes road. Saw all but one cow at 11am. Only saw three total.
    Master guide 212

I went last night, walked along the trails up by horse shoe. Seen 4 cows but none of them gave me a chance.

Default You help will be appracted

Hi Brian,Been doing some research for my son dm413 hunt in November. I know we have a great area to hunt but would like to focus on the big lake area. Will you be willing to share some area I can take my done to fill his rag? This is our first tag and never really hunted big game much. Did some searching around on the forum and saw people mention Burma rd. Drove it two time to get a better idea but seems to have lots of private land. Is there other area in the big lake area we can hunt? We do have an ATV but with the first snow would like to road hunt or hike instead. Your help will be much appreciated!Thank you

Zero lakes road, Hollywood, Burma, parks hwy. basicly get your land ownership out and start driving. Early mornings seem
    Best. Any powerline trails are good too. Havenít seen much moose as of late. But as more snow shows up so will the moose.
    Master guide 212

As the season progresses you should see more and more moving closer to the roadways. You can go on the MSB Parcel viewer and find all the public land. Should be an as tag to fill once the snow starts falling.

shoot i have cows in my yard nearly every day in willow..if you need some hints in my neck of the woods shoot me a PM i can tell you where several cows are nearly every morning and evening.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

I may swing by prohunter, my wife has the nov-Christmas tag, early December we are gonna get after it.
    Master guide 212