Thread: Where's Cottonwood hole???

Default Where's Cottonwood hole???

I'm new to Alaska and was told fishing the cottonwood hole on the Russian was a good place to go, but have no idea where that is, is there anyone willimg to give directions??

thanks

goto the confluence of the russian and kenai rivers and walk until you see two dozen people crowded around a deep hole that has a big cottonwood tree next to it. there won't be any room to fish, but you'll have found it.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

OK, thanks

I just got home from the Russian. It was dead slow. The Cottonwood hole had about 25 people in it on Sunday night waiting for midnight to fish. I was back at camp asleep, but my adult son was there with a buddy. He linited out in about 30 minutes (But he is way good. Guided for several years there) Most of the other were only catching a fish or 2 before they gave up to darkness. I fished the river from Pink Salmon down to Grayling both Monday morning and this morning and saw VERY few fish. Many more people then fish on stringers both days. I did manage to pull out a couple before we left to go to the Seward SeaLife Center to see plenty of fish! Last night we noticed several campsites empty and the pink salmon parking lot only had 10 to 20 vehicles in it on opening day and today. They must be late from the cold late spring. If not the first run is in trouble. I believe they will just be late. It should be a banner year for the Russian River. In 3 days there were no bear sightings that I heard of.

Smile

The last parking area at the russin river is grayling. If can park there do it. If not take pink salmon parking and walk to the grayling area. It is about 1/2 mile and easier than walking the river. I would still walk down the trail from pink slamon area to see if there are any fish in that part of the river. Cottenwood hold is just at the bottom of the stairs from the grayling parking area. Walk down the stairs from grayling parking take a left. About 30 yards on the left is a look out platform that over looks the cotten wood hole. There are stairs that lead you into the river to the hole. It is very crowded there and tons of other spots below it too.
    Fish on