Thread: Line Color Choice

Default Line Color Choice

I'm going to re spool one of my reels with 80# braid and noticed there were several color choices..white, red, black and green. This particular store only had 80 in white...so I passed for now. I was wondering if you guys had a preferred color or if it even made a difference. This would be for a bottom fishing rig. Thanks1

For me it only makes a difference when dealing with tangles, much easier with different color lines.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

We do a lot of trolling with drop weights and planers along with everything else. That means watching the lines beside and behind the boat for pickups of seaweed and such, so it's red for me. Doesn't hurt anything else we do.

I am not sure how much difference it makes when you are bottom fishing but I like the green or red. I always go with low viz. I am not sure it makes a difference but it sure cant hurt.

For bottom fishing your going to have some kind of leader, either with bait or jig. Different colors do help with tangles and any color, other than white, helps show wear and abrasion.

I pick the brightest line I can far all fishing now. I used to worry about fish seeing line until my steelhead partner consistently out fished me one season with some chartreuse line. I finally switched and never went back. I can often see a bite in the line that I can't feel. This goes for pretty much everything for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I can often see a bite in the line that I can't feel.
    You said a mouthful there!

Any fishing where the line isn't under tension, the line has to move a little before the rod can move. Often that's all you get on a gentle hit. A slight twitch or tightening in the line that never turns into movement of the rod tip.

I use daiwa saltiga which is a multi colored depth counter line. The depth counter feature isn't a benefit when bottom fishing, but I prefer the line due to it's handling characteristics.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I use daiwa saltiga which is a multi colored depth counter line. The depth counter feature isn't a benefit when bottom fishing, but I prefer the line due to it's handling characteristics.

This is some of the best braid I've used. I always go metered line for bottom fishing as it's easy to remember what color your jig is tied to so you can slow down when bringing a fish close to the not even if you can't see it. It also allows me to keep track of when clients are letting line out or bringing it in.

i currently have my reels spooled with Toro Tamer metered braid from Charkbait but will go back to the Daiwa stuff for next season.

To hell with red line. On two separate occasions I've had Dall's Porpoises grab my halibut line. It takes about 6 seconds for those 400lb hyperactive basterds to spool you. Did they touch the blue, brown, or yellow lines we had down? nope, just the red braid. $60 of fine red 80lb Spectra braid gone. It could be sheer coincidence, but I don't buy red anymore.

And I reel up my halibut lines now when the Dall's porpoises swarm my boat.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyRaven View Post
    For me it only makes a difference when dealing with tangles, much easier with different color lines.
    Exactly! I could care less what color the line is, just so long as it's different on each reel. It makes detangling so much easier, when you find yourself in the middle of the Mother of All Knots.