Thread: Chitina Update?

Default Chitina Update?

Any bank fishing reports and latest trail condition/access information?

Default fishing

Just got back. The fishing was superb. There is a slide just past obrian that is impassable with four weelers. I took my boat and 2 of us were drifting while one fished from shore. We got two limits in 2 hours out of the boat. The shore fishing was good also. There was a lot of people on the holes you can walk-ride to. There was very few people in the canyon due to the slide.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

Default the slide??

I have a fat tired dirt bike motorcycle (Honda fat-cat) with luggage racks. Do you suppose I could sidehill across the slide with that motorcycle or is it too steep and jumbled?? I am heading down Thursday/Friday and might not take the bike if you say no-go. Congrats on the good fishing! Thanks.

Default not sure

I am about half nuts on a four weeler and there it no way I was going to try it. It is quite steep and sure death if you slide down.
    (no one else was going across it either)
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I didn't even like walking on it. The tears in the path look like it's going to slide down the hill any minute.

The boaters I talked to did real well.

I threw my 5 foot hoop Kenai net in Chitna side of the bridge. Rope tied to it off a spruce log. Got a small red right off. Nothing more after 2 hours. Sweepers up river from me with long pole small Chitna nets were doing well.
    Saw some double fish catches. I couldn't reach out far enough to get them. Tried sweeping. Tore my net up. Gotta get a Chitna net!

Camped on the Ahtna land on the Mcarthy side. $30 a night but wide open. Family had a good time. Weather was excellent except for a wind storm Saturday night.

fish are there.

Can someone tell me if the fishing spots near the tunnel are before or after O'brien Creek? Those spots are the only ones I've used so far. If they are blocked I would like to know if there are other spots I could get to without using the boat.

Some folks mentioned dip netting off the bridge but I don't know what bridge they were referring to.

The tunnel is way past O'Brian creek. O'brian is the first creek you pass. Ie, after you go through chitna, you pass the lake on your left, then the cannon opens up, and you head down hill then pass O'brian.

Sounds like it's boat only.

The bridge mentioned is the one that go's to Mcarthy, ie you head through chitna, go through the cut in the rock and head on the bridge over the Copper.

Looks like it'll be the Kenai for me this year.

Default Camping

Did someone say it costs $30 to camp on the flats near the fishwheels?

Default Chitina update from Tuesday

Just got back.
    1. The four wheeler trail only goes 1.5 miles as reported, and yeah it's scary, I didn't even like my dog going across it.
    There is much better fishing in the canyon as I experienced on the second day.
    2. The Glenn hwy is closed from midnight to 0600 I think, an hour past Palmer if you are thinking of leaving late like I did sunday night oops.
    3. Don't leave your key in your 4-wheeler in the canyon. Someone got theirs stolen Monday night while they were dip-netting below.
    4. I took Hem's charters Tuesday morning for 90 dollars, best 90 dollars I have spent on fishing. They put you in a spot and I caught 39 reds and released 8 of the 9 kings I netted, and probably shook another 5 or 6 out of the net before they went in. That was a lot of fun, I was sitting on a rock by myself, the one they call "Alcatraz" because it's surrounded by water. I took a nap on it for an hour waiting for a ride back.

That's the report. good luck, I saw a ton of vehicles with dip nets heading for Chitina on the way back tonight.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Quote Originally Posted by longshot View Post
    Did someone say it costs $30 to camp on the flats near the fishwheels?
    Yes, this is native corp land. They have security as you drive into it. They offer a $30 pass for 24 hours and a season (?) long for $75. I'm fuzzy on the last bit.

Default ATV

Lots of folks are saying O'brien creek is impassible to machines. Is it worth dragging the machines 400 miles or should I walk? Sounds like the canyon might be accessible

Default slide

obrian creek is fine the slide is about a mile past obrian creek. I would not bother bringing a four wheeler.

Is the slide able to be crossed by foot? Or is it so bad that it would be crazy to even consider walking across? Just curious as I make my final plans to head down.

What gear is required for fishing up near the bridge? I have never tried fishing up there, do you need chest waders? How long of a handle on the dipnet? How long of a rope to tie off to something?

Thanks for any advice

Eric

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by cubecove View Post
    What gear is required for fishing up near the bridge?

I have never tried fishing up there, do you need chest waders? How long of a handle on the dipnet?

How long of a rope to tie off to something?

Thanks for any advice

Eric
    #1 Yes,
    #2 approx. 20 to 24 feet.
    #3 forget it.

I hope that helps. Good Luck.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.