Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I always thought it was an urban legend, until yesterday !!

Default I always thought it was an urban legend, until yesterday !!

I actually met a woman at work yesterday that thought Alaska was down by Mexico.

She couldn't understand what "North to Alaska" meant, when I couldn't understand what she meant, she pulled out a map that looked like this.

brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Nice! Not that I would bring up politics just not my style most days however would this person also be considered what is known as a Low Information Voter?

I'm sometimes dumbfounded on how disturbingly stupid people are. They must of seen a map like this at some point in their lives that caused them to believe Alaska is just floating out there in the ocean (they wouldn't know it's the Pacific) with Hawaii. Heard this said by more than one of them "You can't drive to Alaska, you have to take a boat or fly".

Quote Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
    I actually met a woman at work yesterday that thought Alaska was down by Mexico.

She couldn't understand what "North to Alaska" meant, when I couldn't understand what she meant, she pulled out a map that looked like this.

I've taught kids in lower 48 that didn't understand that Ak and HI didn't have similar climates. Another misconception is that Alaska isn't that larger

I guess they must think the border patrol is busy trying to keep out the Alaskans and Hawaiians.
    Louis Knapp

When I lived in AZ a women I worked with was going to trade me a 10 dollar bill for a 100 dollar bill because I told her our money was worth more, the look on her face when i
    pulled out a 10 dollar bill followed by a .......hey tha is the same 10 dollar bill we have here. I laughed and said yeah no kidding alaska is part of the United States. She didn't think I was funny.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    When I lived in AZ a women I worked with was going to trade me a 10 dollar bill for a 100 dollar bill because I told her our money was worth more, the look on her face when i
    pulled out a 10 dollar bill followed by a .......hey tha is the same 10 dollar bill we have here. I laughed and said yeah no kidding alaska is part of the United States. She didn't think I was funny.
    In a previous career, I was a Purchasing Agent for the State DOT/PF... you'd be surprised (well maybe not) at the number of vendors "down below) who always followed up their quote with "that's US Dollars you know)...!

My grand kids were just up. Could not understand why it was so cold when we were so close to Mexico.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Yup, the Merican edumacation system seems to be working just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Yup, the Merican edumacation system seems to be working just fine.
    Is it the system or the level of effort put into learning by modern families?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Is it the system or the level of effort put into learning by modern families?

modern families and legislation created that affects education by non educators.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    modern families and legislation created that affects education by non educators.
    Not sure I'm following you on the legislation?

Not sure I'm following you on the legislation?

Legislation may not have been right choice of words but Common core and most education regs(high stakes testing) are created with little input from those that work in the field. There's a push to privatize public education or go to these charter schools. It's all about money.

Blame the teachers but not families. Successful education has three components. The teacher. The parents. The student.

I am just now drinking coffee. More responsible responses could come in an appropriate setting.

even here in AK there was legislation presented that would cut funding to rural schools. Basically all students would have got same amount of funding. Even though bush schools cost way more to run. I can not remember the bill.

Legislation may not have been right choice of words but Common core and most education regs(high stakes testing) are created with little input from those that work in the field. There's a push to privatize public education or go to these charter schools. It's all about money.

Blame the teachers but not families. Successful education has three components. The teacher. The parents. The student.

I am just now drinking coffee. More responsible responses could come in an appropriate setting.

even here in AK there was legislation presented that would cut funding to rural schools. Basically all students would have got same amount of funding. Even though bush schools cost way more to run. I can not remember the bill.
    Ok now I follow you. I'm not well versed on that end of things, I just recall what teachers put up with when I was in school and when I assisted my younger sisters class for a year. Very sad the kind of home life many children have, making it no surprise they don't learn much.

As anti-overreach as I tend to be I sure wish they would start regulating conception!

Ok now I follow you. I'm not well versed on that end of things, I just recall what teachers put up with when I was in school and when I assisted my younger sisters class for a year. Very sad the kind of home life many children have, making it no surprise they don't learn much.

As anti-overreach as I tend to be I sure wish they would start regulating conception!

It's truly sad. As manly as I am, I still shed tears every year over my students. I'll never forget a kid I had once. Oldest of 6 at that time (now 9) in 4th grade. Mom was 26 yrs old. During testing he couldn't stay awake. Asked why and was shocked. Drug raid. Two weeks later he was given weed by a friend of his family. There are times you just want to take them all home.

It's truly sad. As manly as I am, I still shed tears every year over my students. I'll never forget a kid I had once. Oldest of 6 at that time (now 9) in 4th grade. Mom was 26 yrs old. During testing he couldn't stay awake. Asked why and was shocked. Drug raid. Two weeks later he was given weed by a friend of his family. There are times you just want to take them all home.
    I have a ton of respect for teachers, I could never do it. There are several of them in my family and they are some of the most stressed people I know. I hope this year treats you better.

I have a ton of respect for teachers, I could never do it. There are several of them in my family and they are some of the most stressed people I know. I hope this year treats you better.
    Thank you. I have been already stabbed in the back a longtime colleague over NSF grant funding, because my district "is not worthy". Nice when you help him write it. Parents are a big part. I could write a book on just them alone and how kids come to school.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Schools are great but it is the parents that count in most in most cases , in bringing the kids up, I think , SID

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    Schools are great but it is the parents that count in most in most cases , in bringing the kids up, I think , SID
    Actually I think it is an equally 3 part equation……..teachers, kids and parents. If the teacher is good, the parents care, then the student will most likely follow suite.

My mom and dad drove up years ago to visit

Dad was telling his friend that they got 2 mpg better mileage on the way back to California than they did coming up to Alaska (I changed out his fuel tank as it was leaking and did some other tune up stuff while he was here)

His friend said

" well duh, it is uphill the way there and down hill the way back".

Sad part is he meant it.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast