Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 454 Challenge

Default 454 Challenge

Are you up to it?? Holy Smokes.

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    If YOU, as a Beeg Bore enthusiast are amazed, (You did say, "Holy Smokes") I'm plumb flabbergasted.

Honestly, I would not have thought it possible to recover from the recoil so fast. And, SA no less.

I wonder what Andy, can so with his DA 460s.

Good accuracy, even at 5 yards, IMO. BTW, how long do it take for Mr. Bar to cover 5 yards?

All, in all, I nearly certain I'd be better off with a leetle less bang.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

My ten and fifteen yard bouyball pull through the legs does not look that relaxed at all..Use a 12" bouyball pulled fast by hand and try to get six shots off before it dumps ya. Three hits a good score,seen five hits only once with the full power 454. The 44 and 45 are much better for this game but six hits is still hard to come by.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

D/A I can put 5 390g at 1400fps in a paper plate at 5 yards somewhere about that fast but prefer to go a tad slower and aim more . . . they tend to go low with speed, guns passing the target before I can work the action. Must admit that I'm quite a am quite a bit faster with my trusty rusty 357 Blackhawk.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Practice, practice, practice. All it takes is a goal, time, ammo, and dedication.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Practice, practice, practice. All it takes is a goal, time, ammo, and dedication.

What he said. But I'm still impressed. It was difficult for me to tell, were most of those guys hitting in black with those shots? That last guy shoots as fast as most folks with a 9mm. Makes me think about a SA Ruger 44 rather than a DA.

BTW, if someone has a SA 454, we can all get together and do this as an homage to the Ice Bucket Challenge on Facebook. Each person challenges 3 friends (on film,) then shoots their 5 rounds. Post it on Facebook. Whoever owns the pistol can buy the ammo. =)

I think I'll practice with my Single Six.

Less exciting, but also less painful, and less scary.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    D/A I can put 5 390g at 1400fps in a paper plate at 5 yards somewhere about that fast but prefer to go a tad slower and aim more . . . they tend to go low with speed, guns passing the target before I can work the action. Must admit that I'm quite a am quite a bit faster with my trusty rusty 357 Blackhawk.
    OK, that's impressive.

Every time I tried to shoot my 357 fast, the bullets went all over the place. Hopefully, all in the same general direction, though.

I am about to make history with your 7mm RM. I'll fill you in later.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    OK, that's impressive.

Every time I tried to shoot my 357 fast, the bullets went all over the place. Hopefully, all in the same general direction, though.

I am about to make history with your 7mm RM. I'll fill you in later.

Smitty of the North
    I've had that Blackhawk near about all my life and put more rounds through it than anything ever, its like a part of me. I can learn other guns but the ones I learned when I was young are still the ones that feel, point and aim most natural to me . . . isometric grip and that 357 falls right back onto a close target fast as I can calk the hammer.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Max and I are friends. He lives and works nearby. In another session, he got his time down to 2.9 sec. He's the real deal. I've seen him hit beer cans at 100 yds offhand with his big bores. He just killed a water buffalo last month in Argentina with his Ruger SRH .480. I wish I could bring him along as my bodyguard on my bear hunt. Good guy, and, of course, a former Marine.

We all all still Marines.Heck I still got Marine I.D. to get on bases.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    We all all still Marines.Heck I still got Marine I.D. to get on bases.
    Agreed Amigo. Semper fi. I just have to use some word to distinguish myself from the guys currently doing all the heavy lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    What he said. But I'm still impressed. It was difficult for me to tell, were most of those guys hitting in black with those shots? That last guy shoots as fast as most folks with a 9mm. Makes me think about a SA Ruger 44 rather than a DA.
    It does, seem to indicate that one is NOT handicapped by choosing a SA over a DA. (Which seems to be the normal thinking.)

Smitty of the North

Wah, h, h, h, hoo. (Rebel Yell)
    You can't out-give God.

Unless one can oh use one hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Armymark View Post
    Unless one can oh use one hand.
    Well, you can use only ONE hand and shoot SA.

What am I missing here?

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Using one-hand-only with a high-recoiling load will slow you down with a DA as well as with a SA.

Maybe I'm the only negative nancy, but I only have one problem with this drill. The shooting is great, no question. The problem I have is that they all start from a drawn pistol with the action cocked. So you have to make the assumption that you are aware of the bear, notice that it's aware of you, you are in the process of trying to extricate, and have already drawn and cocked your pistol. Which may be fine for many encounters, but what about the surprise encounter? How long does it take to clear the holster and pull the hammer back prior to that first shot?

BTW, this is by no means an attempt to disparage or down play the feat. It's still better than I could do with a big bore. Maybe I'm just a devil's advocate type that I think of the things not shown.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post

Well, I'm not quite that fast, but I can average about 5-6 seconds with my Bisley SBHTR .44Mag with a variety of Heavy Loads.
    Attachment 80528
    [ Retired and Living the "Dream" in Alaska, Semper-Fi ]

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    Maybe I'm the only negative nancy, but I only have one problem with this drill. The shooting is great, no question. The problem I have is that they all start from a drawn pistol with the action cocked. So you have to make the assumption that you are aware of the bear, notice that it's aware of you, you are in the process of trying to extricate, and have already drawn and cocked your pistol. Which may be fine for many encounters, but what about the surprise encounter? How long does it take to clear the holster and pull the hammer back prior to that first shot?

BTW, this is by no means an attempt to disparage or down play the feat. It's still better than I could do with a big bore. Maybe I'm just a devil's advocate type that I think of the things not shown.
    Not a negative Nancy at all, you are correct that the draw and presentation speed is critical. But this addresses the "you'll never recover from the recoil in time" myth that is so prevalent. Shoot your gun a LOT then shoot it more and though smaller with less recoil is faster the devide isn't as great as all that.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Let's face the facts. If a bear charge is imminent, in all likelihood, one shot is all you are going to have the time to get off, so the premise is flawed from the outset. However, in defense of the drill, it is a great exercise in fast, yet controlled shot placement. I found the drill useful as an overall handling drill and enjoyed the experience.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast