Thread: combo trips in september?

Default combo trips in september?

Any one know of a charter that does combo trips in september, week of 8-13th Looking to target halibut/rockfish/lings. not really interested in salmon. All the ones I have tried are halibut only and Im not paying 275$ to catch two halibut and be done fishing when I can do that right of the beach for the cost of a bag of herring. Thanks!

Which port? I think Brooks Alaskan adventure in Homer could maybe accommodate that
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Try In & Out Charters, Fish House, Alaska Summertime charters out of Seward

Be wary of if they will go for lings, you need to ask. I had a charter out of Seward last week but was sick so a buddy took my place instead. After the boat found their Halibut the customers asked to target Lings. The captain said that people were taking too much of the resource and refused. This was only discussed once underway and the halibut were already taken. So the skipper decided he was now a biologist. Never again with that outfit!!!! I paid 378, not 275 btw. What a rip!!! PM if you want the outfit. Hate to say it but one from the outfit is on here sometimes.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    Be wary of if they will go for lings, you need to ask. I had a charter out of Seward last week but was sick so a buddy took my place instead. After the boat found their Halibut the customers asked to target Lings. The captain said that people were taking too much of the resource and refused. This was only discussed once underway and the halibut were already taken. So the skipper decided he was now a biologist. Never again with that outfit!!!! I paid 378, not 275 btw. What a rip!!! PM if you want the outfit. Hate to say it but one from the outfit is on here sometimes.
    Bad business if he charged for the ling combo, but what's wrong with a little conservation? Was this trip booked as ling combo? If it was, shame on the guide for not letting the clients know that they would not be targeted. If it was not booked as a ling combo, shame on you for trying to bad mouth the operator in the name of conservation

It was a combo. Besides, the state should set the limits, knowing the resource. I let my big butts go to spawn again. Conservation is a good thing but when a person or a sixpack pays 375 a piece to target butts and lings, they should get what they pay for. Besides, I didn't give out the business publically... did I? Still won't go with them again.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    It was a combo. Besides, the state should set the limits, knowing the resource. I let my big butts go to spawn again. Conservation is a good thing but when a person or a sixpack pays 375 a piece to target butts and lings, they should get what they pay for. Besides, I didn't give out the business publically... did I? Still won't go with them again.
    Pm if you want the name of the outfit is pretty much making it public isn't it? Like you say though, if the trip was sold as a combo, you should have either fished it that way, or got refunded the difference. Bad on the guides part

A combo should provide the chance for anything available; halibut, rockfish including blacks or yellow eye, salmon and the usual cod as well as ling which is actually a greenling. Did they bring home any salmon or other species in addition to halibut? If you got stuck with just halibut you should get a refund

Just halibut and 20 pounds at the most. I'm thinking the charter industry is toast. I'm done with them cause it is just not worth it. I will pay my cash to M&O seafoods instead

In regard to the original post, most charters shut down at Labor Day, but you can find some out there. In Seward, try the Fish House or J-dock . . , Valdez, try Fish Central, who also may rent boats . . . If I recall correctly. Homer and Kodiak have guides run a little longer.

Now the combo discussion . . . I've fished 11 charter trips in AK, one in Homer, 6 at Valdez and 4 in Seward. I've heard of full-day or half-day trips, overnight ears . . . And halibut/salmon combos. I've NEVER heard of a halibut/rockfish/ling/cod combo or any other version. Yes, halibut and ling typically are found at different holes . . . But I have caught both from a single anchor location . . . 102 lb halibut, a 35 lb halibut and a 25 lb ling and that was on a charter out of Seward. Other chatters have yielded combos of rockfish, halibut and salmon at one or two moves. In the end, talking with your Captain before committing is a great way to help your chances.

Mathematically speaking, if you got 20 Lbs of fillets for $380.00, how's that compare to Safeway or Fred's at $21 -$25 per pound? Of course for my wife's money(she doesn't do charters) I hit New Sagaya's when I get to Anchorage. Her charter money nets some guaranteed good meat.

Yea, in reality, I tried to talk to the captain a number of times before it was the day to go and was never was put through. I'm thinking I just learned a hard lesson. The other half of the charter, a separate boat , had no problems filling their limit of lings plus halibut. I guess I just picked the wrong boat.

With what Arctic said, most of the crew here (Kodiak) shuts down around now as well, some of us will run throughout the year, but it's slow and the weather kills us down here. It's iffy on flying into Kodiak from Oct-Mar let alone going fishing. Most of my fall-spring trips are locals and coasties that can take adavantage of the last minute break in the weather.

With what Whop said. It happens, sometimes no matter what you do the cards don't fall in that boats favor that day. I've been the guy that can do no wrong when everyone else is scratching along, I've also been the guy that can't find a rockfish that will eat and comes back licking my wounds. If you spend enough time on the water it is bound to happen, just keep soldering on. As far as what you targeted, try like hell to talk with the skipper and make yourself clear on what you want, it's much easier for both you and the Capt. if you book the whole boat with you and your buddies, then everyone should be on the same page, and talk to him the night before the trip. Maybe what you want really isn't in the cards for tomrrow due to weather or the bite the last few days. But if you book a specifc combo, that's the deal, if condtions/fishing isn't going to really allow that, then phone calls should take place IMO to make other arrangements for other species. But Whop, did he offer to target anything else, Rocks, Salmon???? or just return to the dock?
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Have you looked at the rockfish at Freddies or cars or NS? It does not look very good to me. No bleeding occurs it appears. The quality of meat harvested off of a charter has potential to be much better than the grocery mart.

If you were just taken back to the dock after paying specifically for a ling/butt combo you got the shaft.

I do agree though that the resources are being hammered.

We went with Captain Josh brooks on monday. although fishing was tough we did better than many and he worked really hard to get us our fish despite the massive tides. We had such a good time we decided to book again with them tomorrow. We got 52 lbs of silver fillets today so we really don't need anymore salmon for the winter, so after tomorrow we will be targeting trout the rest of the week. I would recommend him with the experience we had, and definitely will be booking with him in the future.

Were you fishing on the Kenai ?

Went back with capt. Josh on the Huntress and he put my dad on a 300+ halibut. Would have been a derby winner if they didn't let people register fish from all the way out by kodiak.