Thread: Prince William Sound Deer Populations

Default Prince William Sound Deer Populations

Just got the deer pellet count report and an article in the Cordova Times explaining the results and thought I'd post it here for those of you that are interested. If you have specific questions about the methodology used, please contact the Area Biologist: Charlotte Westing on (907) 424 3215

Looking forward to a great deer season in the sound with lots of return clients as well as some new ones!
    Matt
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks for the great info Matt. We hunted the northern end of Knight Island last weekend and didn't see any deer up high, but saw lots of fresh sign. Hope it's a good year.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Thanks Matt. The information is much appreciated.

This seems to confirm what I was thinking. The populations have improved since the snowpocolyspe massacre but they still have a ways to go before they return to average.

The good news is that the bucks should be nice and fat again this year. I just thawed a chunk of backstrap from last years buck that has so much marbling I wouldn't believe it came off a wild animal if I hadn't harvested it myself.

Thanks Matt, See you and Heidi in November
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

The studies have been fairly accurate for deer populations in SSE. I participated in several surveys a number of years back that indicated deer populations in three drainages exceeding 75 deer per square mile. These areas have always been know amongst our friends and family as the "Grocery store".

Thank you for sharing this survey. I tried to find it on the ADFG site but had no luck. We just got back from a 5 day trip on Hawkins near canoe passage on the south side. Didn't see a lot of deer, but harvested 2 button bucks and one nice mature buck. One partner was bow hunting and he could have gotten a nice buck, a monster buck and a large doe if he had been rifle hunting. They didn't present him with a shot for an arrow. Hoping for another mild winter and good harvest next year.