Thread: 1000 Yd Update

Default 1000 Yd Update

The Alaska Rifle Club will host a two day series of Long Range Matches at Ft. Greely, near Delta Junction, On Thursday and Friday, June 14 and 15. This is our only chance to shoot 1000 yards in the area! If you plan to attend please contact Craig Parker at cdparker@bigfoot.com or telephone him at (907)745-3828. Craig will be looking for a group to attend the match. Since this is a combined Black Powder Cartridge and High Power event contact Parker no mater which discipline you are in. If there are not enough people attending we will have to cancel it. There has been considerable effort to get this match approved so please contact Craig Parker if you plan to go to Greely.

Lee Watne

would you and your shooters like the idea of a 1000m range closer to home, in the matsu burrough? along with indoor/outdoor pistol range, trap/skeet, unknown distance on steel, tactical shoot house, and archery range?

Yes and if I had 20,000,000 bucks to blow we would have a range just like that! Along with heated inclosed 50 position indoor shooting house for 100, 200 and 300 yard bench rest matches. But then I woke-up and remembered this ain't BEN AVERY shooting range in Arizona.

Good luck, to us all!

Quote Originally Posted by falsusfurtim22 View Post
    would you and your shooters like the idea of a 1000m range closer to home, in the matsu burrough? along with indoor/outdoor pistol range, trap/skeet, unknown distance on steel, tactical shoot house, and archery range?
    ...It sounds good anyway...

Default New Indoor Range...

I think a range is a heck of a good idea, and I'd love to see one just as you describe. Don't want to rain on anybodys parade but I've seen these before.

Here's the deal. The nice new Fairbanks range sits idle most of the time. When I go there winter or summer I see the same smiling faces and I know just about all of them. They are dedicated patons of this range. This range is going broke. No one comes in, just the same two dozen who have always been there. People tell me all the time they don't wan't to pay just to shoot. They pay to golf, they pay to fish, the pay to visit national parks, but they won't pay to shoot. This makes no sense to me.

So we have free public ranges. I go to the free public ranges and they are more trashed than the burough transfer site. The nice benches are shot to hell, the target boards are shot down, the people who use these free public ranges destroy them. I know it isn't everybody but I also know it isn't just a few either. There are exceptions, but I've seen a lot of this. It is in every state in which I've seen public shooting ranges.

The answer is to have club ranges. Either group or LLC owned ranges and sell memberships to known people with a system of rules and a means to enforce the rules. This system works. There will always be those outcasts who will never spend a dime to shoot on a private or pulic range, they probably are the ones who trash and destroy ranges anyway. When you pay a fee to join a club or shoot at a range you generally care enough to follow the rules and to take care of the facilities.

So...if your range is to be a private club venture run similar to (shudder) a golf club, then I'm in. There is a club here in Fairbanks trying to raise money for a new indoor range and they are selling life memberships very reasonbly to get folks in on the ground floor, so to speak, who will likely become the ruling body of the organization. They will because they obviously care enough to see it done right and make and follow a system of rules to protect everyone and the range facilities.

I have been involved in many of these clubs across the US and they are the very best places to shoot. I have 200 acres of land in another state where I have built different ranges and have conducted classes and competition as well as just leisurely shoots over the past decade or so. This place will be revitalized upon my return and will be a full time range and school.

IDPA/USPSA/IPSC type handgun ranges. Composite Pistol (NRA Action Pistol and Bullseye) Ranges. Rifle out to 400 yards and Sporting Clays. Special Combat mock-up and situation ranges for M/P training. This is all very expensive to build and it does cost to maintain it.

Yes it's a great idea. It was said build it and they will come. Sure they will all come if it is free. I don't want them all to come, I only want those who are interested in maintaining it and following the rules. No public range that is open to the general public will be spared, they will all be destroyed.

State laws don't stop the drunks with SKS carbines from shooting up the target boards. A fence and a locked gate will if there is membership there who will not tollerate such behavior and have them arrested.

Places to shoot are becoming increasingly more difficult to find, if we don't police our own ranks we'll all be shut down.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread, just want to point out a practical side of this. Private clubs work and can be very good for a number of shooters.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default range

Quote Originally Posted by falsusfurtim22 View Post
    yes

would prefer a 1000 yds with pulled targets in the pits, berms at 100, 200, 300, 500, 600, 800, 900, 1000
    and set up for silhouette at 200, 300 385, 500 meters

Not to mentions set up for SB silhouette and SB prone at 50 and 100 yds

NRA pistol at 50 and 25 yds with turning targets at 25...

..and one we would not have to check fire when aircraft violate the range and one we would not have to check fire when the clouds come down to 4000 feet,

...and one where a a full auto shooter or a 22 LR shooter is NOT spewing rounds into the ground at 20 yds, bouncing one knows where, while standing by the MIN RANGE 50YDs ALL RD MUST IMPACT THE BERM sign

...and people pick up their own trash

Nice if it faced North vice East or West, so we don't get the early morning or late day sun in the face..

Would I pay? you bet.
    I pay for Birchwood for the year and have since it started, and it can get very scary to shoot there. Muzzle sweeps, rounds buzzing overhead.

The vary best model I've seen Is BEN AVARY aka Black canyon shooting range In Arizona. It is a vary profitable range, it supports from fees all the public parks in Phoenix. It is run by the county parks service.

It also covers every discipline of shooting sports. And it takes up hundred of acres to do it. It has a mountain back stop. When it was built in the 1960's no one lived any where near there. Today there is a trailer park on the back side of the mountain that complains of the spent .50 bmg bullets that pop over the mountain.

At the same time I have seen hundreds of cars and trucks lined up to get on the range. This range is under vary tight control, by the county and there is no trouble from the public. It just seems that none of the locale gov types can see any thing like this nor use the successful ranges as a model.

What they worry about most is the public might get the idea of the meaning of public service, does not equal public rip off by government.