Thread: Petersville unit 16 Moose Hunt

Default Petersville unit 16 Moose Hunt

Has anyone been out to petersville area for moose hunting yet? We are talking about heading that way next weekend or to the Denali highway.
    Any info would be great

Unless you know where to go and get away from everybody running the road and trails this is not a good weekend to get out moose hunting. If you want to go and look around to see the country and don't mine the crowds this would be a good time.

W www wwww222wwe

You'll spend the whole time trying to get away from the 17000 people ripping around on 4 wheelers everywhere *In Petersville

yep...avoid that place for sure...unless you have a boat..and then that is going to be touch as well.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    yep...avoid that place for sure...unless you have a boat..and then that is going to be touch as well.
    Just covered a 100 miles out there today on wheelers 2 other hunters and no critters
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

black bears everywhere up there this year. Lots of cows and lots of wheelers

Lots of cows and calves, not a single bull!

That's too bad. Of course it has good road access and lots of trails. What else would you expect??

Lots of bears and few moose? It's been that way for a long time. I was last up there around 2002 or so and saw no moose, little sign, and plenty of bear sign. And my buddy dropped a coyote at 175 yards with iron sights.

I don't understand why only seeing cows is a problem. Where there are cows their bulls just not standing in the open. If you want to find a bull you are going to have to spent more time hunting the area. Learning cow and bull behavior will be a plus in leaning where to find animals. Note I did not say moose because moose implies both sex at this time of the year they become difference animals.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    I don't understand why only seeing cows is a problem. Where there are cows their bulls just not standing in the open.

Typically related to the "throttle thumb syndrome". The average person is rarely willing to get off of a machine and walk or sit quietly for hours when they can just putt along all day on a trail. If youre putting in 100 miles on your wheeler in a weekend, I do not consider you to have "hunted". You have merely toured the area like a tourist and only saw what wanted to be seen. No offense meant to any previous posters as I know Roger for example is a local who knows his stuff, just a general observation of what typically happens every weekend. I have spent alot of time sitting in the woods with moose around while atvs buzzed by on a nearby trail all evening long.

I agree lots of people don't stop. I can sit and watch bears from my car or in a meadow and watch people drive past and not even turn their head. I've seen 3 small bulls slip off into the fog early morning way to far away. Their are tons of calves which to me signifies the population is doing okay. I hardly see a person before 10 am as well and they're back in a chair by about 7. I hit it hard at 5 am, take a nap mid day and stay out til 11 pm, you know kinda like the animals do. They'll be coming

I had a wolf at my trailer door in june, sniffing my dog and another swung 20 yds from camp last week I couldn't get a shot at so I was concerned about the population but there is plenty of calves.

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    as I know Roger for example is a local who knows his stuff.
    Thanks for the compliment! I should of been more clear I was on a tour with a group of folks going 20 -30 mph all day.I was not hunting but I did stop at my normal glassing spots to see if I could find a moose or bear for the tourist.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

I was out there last weekend. I did see a bull but I think he was in the 40" class. He wouldn't turn and look at me and he didn't respond to calls yet. I'm sure in another week or two they will start responding to calls.

I finally broke my 6 wheeler with tracks out there was a great machine for 13 years. Called a buddy to come get me on a rescue mission. Got out of the bush at 5:40 am. Was a LONG night. Would highly recommend staying off the main trail behind burned down Forks Road house. The tourists have tore up the trail, worst I've ever seen it.

I purchased a new chariot with the wife's blessing, so I will be back out there this weekend warming it up.

This comes up every year, and every year I say "Unit 16 is hunted out" and every year somebody flames me for it. Those of us who own land up there don't even bother. (I'm going with my girlfriend's dad tomorrow so he can "go hunting." It's really just an armed 4-wheeler ride.) At any rate, I'm glad to read that folks are finally starting to see what I've been seeing.

By the way, and this is a serious comment/suggestion, if you do hunt 16A/16, please, PLEASE WEAR ORANGE!!! Get a ball camp from Freddy's for $12, anything. Those woods are way way too populated in season, and we don't know the type of people out there. I know it's not mandatory, but some things should just be common sense. Even we he own land there, just because you're on your land, doesn't mean you're alone.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    This comes up every year, and every year I say "Unit 16 is hunted out" and every year somebody flames me for it. Those of us who own land up there don't even bother. (I'm going with my girlfriend's dad tomorrow so he can "go hunting." It's really just an armed 4-wheeler ride.) At any rate, I'm glad to read that folks are finally starting to see what I've been seeing.

By the way, and this is a serious comment/suggestion, if you do hunt 16A/16, please, PLEASE WEAR ORANGE!!! Get a ball camp from Freddy's for $12, anything. Those woods are way way too populated in season, and we don't know the type of people out there. I know it's not mandatory, but some things should just be common sense. Even we he own land there, just because you're on your land, doesn't mean you're alone.
    Great point on wearing orange. Actually, we do know the type of folks out there...hence, wearing orange is a very good idea!!!!