Thread: Anyone hitting Whittier this weekend?

Default Anyone hitting Whittier this weekend?

Hitting the water this evening for a long weekend, anyone else? Primarily shrimping trip with some salmon trolling planned. Should be around Blackstone, Cochrane, Culross areas. Swing by and say hello if you see us, white kingfisher Stor Fisk.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Will be out Monday morning, fishing northern end of Knight. 24 foot Seaport ~ Rya Tori.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

If you guys are looking for some silvers i'd check out around the hatchery at Ester, gillnetters have been catching a few over there, its the tip of the funnel for the last silvers into the sound.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Like pot builder said the fishing has been good around esther hatchery the last few days. Didn't fish Saturday or sunday but we will be back fishing Monday morning.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

PWS weather looks a bit blustery for Monday, 30 knot gusts.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    PWS weather looks a bit blustery for Monday, 30 knot gusts.
    yeah my plans sure have changed. Time to concentrate on moose season and put the rods away until winter kings in homer
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

We came back early due to the forecast, no silvers at Ester hatchery today. Lots of sea lions. Did get a small feeder king at Blackstone point on Saturday and a decent haul of shrimp. One more trip in mid September and we will be done fishing. That is unless we go after some deer or a bear later in the fall.

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I'm hoping to make a deer trip sometime this year, maybe next month
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    We came back early due to the forecast, no silvers at Ester hatchery today. Lots of sea lions. Did get a small feeder king at Blackstone point on Saturday and a decent haul of shrimp. One more trip in mid September and we will be done fishing. That is unless we go after some deer or a bear later in the fall.
    I think I saw you Friday night in 3 Fingers, right finger. I was anchored where the 3 fingers come together. Glad the fog finally lifted Saturday morning. Few rock fish and a 35 pound halibut for the weekend plus shrimp.

Still lots of silvers at Esther, looking like one of the better runs they've had in a few years. The weather wasn't too bad today.

What a great weekend out there! Good to see you JR. Skydiver, I think we saw you pull into Three Finger late Sunday night. Lots of shrimp, berries, and vitamin D harvested! I am glad we waited until Monday evening to pull out. The ramp must have been a bit sporty Monday morning.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    I think I saw you Friday night in 3 Fingers, right finger. I was anchored where the 3 fingers come together. Glad the fog finally lifted Saturday morning. Few rock fish and a 35 pound halibut for the weekend plus shrimp.
    We were the ones that came in about 9:30 in the pitch black. Had my wife on the bow with the spotlight. Was out figuring out where to mount a million candle power worth of lights tonight.

Anybody catching anything yet? I'm thinking about winterizing the boat this weekend, but if there are reports of silvers being caught I may try to take the family out one more time this weekend.

Are the commercial guys still out around Ester? I'm heading that way this evening.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

I'm thinking about a day-trip on Saturday, but I haven't heard anything other than the ADFG release earlier this week:
    COGHILL DISTRICT: The Coghill District, excluding all waters of the WNH SHA, will open to commercial drift gillnet fishing for daily 12-hour fishing periods, from 8:00 am until 8:00 pm, on Thursday, September 4 through Sunday, September 7. Harvest from the September 1 fishing period was 16,700 coho and 6,600 pink salmon, with 127 deliveries reported.
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ap.../489107037.pdf

It looks like they're putting out these news releases almost daily, so perhaps there will be more current news sometime today, they get posted here:
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...areapws.salmon
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by OKElkHunter View Post
    Are the commercial guys still out around Ester? I'm heading that way this evening.
    Yup they will be there every day its open to them, they paid to make the silvers your going to try to catch. Still looks like pretty poor fishing with a
    +- 40 fish a day average.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    If you guys are looking for some silvers i'd check out around the hatchery at Ester, gillnetters have been catching a few over there, its the tip of the funnel for the last silvers into the sound.
    I was out there Tuesday afternoon..beautiful day.. more cruising than fishing...sea lions seemed to be doing well. Caught a couple decent yellow eye, a dusky and 2 big cod off Esther Bay. No salmon for me, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    I was out there Tuesday afternoon..beautiful day.. more cruising than fishing...sea lions seemed to be doing well. Caught a couple decent yellow eye, a dusky and 2 big cod off Esther Bay. No salmon for me, though.
    Save all those cod spots thats all thats going to be left in a few years LOL

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Steve your such a downer buddy.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Silvers are really slowing down around Esther. The commercial fleet will be thinning out.