Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which camo pattern?

Default which camo pattern?

Giving my son my original set of gear and I'm getting the KUIU Chugach pant and coat soon, wondering which camo patterns folks prefer? Sort of a blonde vs. brunette argument but curious nonetheless.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

The pattern doesn't matter. But as a general rule of thumb it's best to have outer gear at least as dark or darker than the background you're hunting in. It always makes me laugh when I see a hunter all decked out in some name-brand camo, then he puts on a light colored hat. That just sticks out like a sore thumb on the worst possible place. I see it on TV hunting shows all the time.
    What's especially amusing is some seeing a pronghorn or mule deer hunter in Wyoming all camo'd out with his "guide" who's all duded out in bright blue wranglers, shiny belt buckle and a white cowboy hat.

I mucho preferr and use milsurp German flec cammo, in summer and desert colors. military strength and German quality, it lasts years.
    Both the summer greens and desert browns just let me melt into the Tundra for a set of good outdoor clothing for less than 50$.

For Spring and fall hunt9injg the desert flec, the rest of Summer, the greener flec. Old light brown carhearts are a most excellent Tundra cammo, and you may even have a set allready.....
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Interesting perspective, wags. My own observations are that most camo patterns are WAY too dark for Alaska. I see guys up on the tundra decked out in their Realtree or Mossy Oak stuff intended for hardwoods whitetail hunters, and they look like black bears out there. I try to err on the light side, but then again, most of my time is up in the mountains. Light grays and browns rule the day.

As for KUIU, I like the looks of their solid brown stuff they just came out with. Most of my KUIU gear is solid olive green, but I also have a down jacket from them in the verde camo pattern. I like that pattern, but wish it was just a touch lighter in color.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Interesting perspective, wags. My own observations are that most camo patterns are WAY too dark for Alaska. I see guys up on the tundra decked out in their Realtree or Mossy Oak stuff intended for hardwoods whitetail hunters, and they look like black bears out there. I try to err on the light side, but then again, most of my time is up in the mountains. Light grays and browns rule the day.

As for KUIU, I like the looks of their solid brown stuff they just came out with. Most of my KUIU gear is solid olive green, but I also have a down jacket from them in the verde camo pattern. I like that pattern, but wish it was just a touch lighter in color.
    Brian,
    I wont argue with you in regards to lighter colored camo in most rocky ares. But I've noticed that It's much easier to pick up the movement of hunters in vegetated areas if they are lighter than their surroundings. Dark olive drab Impertech is pretty good all by it's self imo.

Homemade stuff. Cloudveil lightweight nylon shirt and zip off pants in tan (shorts are nice for stream crossings). Bought a tree branch plastic stencil online and spray painted a pattern on. Few times through the wash to fade and good to go. I've done some fleece hoodies and wind proof jacket that all came out good.

The nylon dries super quick and breathes really well. Throw on some long underwear under for chilly days. I sized up the shirt so it'll fit over my puffy. Sheep didn't see me so it seemed to work (disclaimer, my wife shot the sheep and I'm a poseur).

Oh, and yes, that is a camo Seahawks hat.

Not directly related to KUIU but I have a picture of myself up on Skyline in the Cabelas "outfitter" pattern (I think that's what it's called anyway) and it literally looks like a pair of severed hands laying on the ground. I had my head down with the good on, I was impressed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am sold on kuiu having owned 4 pieces of their gear. This system will be used exclusivley for mountain hunts. I prefer helly hansen for my moose and brown bear gigs.

image.jpg
    Kuiu verde
    Wish they had a women's line though.

Here is some interesting camo from around the world. I too, am a fan of German Flektarn for late fall, and also CADPAT woodland for earlier fall hunts before everything turns brown and yellow, also check out the multicam, that stuff is amazing in all terrains.

http://www.kamouflage.net
    Last edited by 2dawgs; 08-30-2014 at 00:14. Reason: Added info.

Most animals are partially to mostly color-blind, so the color is of no concern except to how a guy likes to look. What matters in camo is shading, patterns, density and the ability to break form. Most camos still leave a human outline visible, mainly because the fabric is a hard outline of the body and has no soft, hairy, furred edges as found on animals. In the wide open, most camos will leave you outlined, and there's very little you can do about it, short of a leafy suit.

I like KUIU and have both patterns. I really prefer the Verde for up-close encounters as a bowhunter. It is simply a more subtle pattern and less contrasting than Vias. Both will do the job, but I think the subtle blend-in patterns are the way to go at close range. For the record, I'm one who often mixes camo patterns in an effort to break up the human outline. A contrasting vest (Vias) over Verde does a good job...or reverse the concept. For some reason a hat is often a problem; probably because of the characteristic shape and 'hard' rounded crown. Again, I prefer something softer and fuzzy which blends with the environment. Fleece, wool and some other materials do a good job. This is less important in shaded or brushy areas and under low-light conditions.

IMO camouflage is made for hiding from people (military). Some patterns work if it's well matched to the surroundings, in the right light and you don't move. Move around and you're seen. My experience is animals either see movement or smell you. If they catch your sent, then they will look for you. If they see you, then they try to get down wind for your sent. I wear whatever works for the weather conditions in neutral colors (gray, green, brown, jeans,) and of course avoid anything bright, unless I happen to be where there are others hunting. The only camo I wear is quality outdoor clothing that is only available in a camo print/color and was at a price I couldn't pass up.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnhunt View Post
    IMO camouflage is made for hiding from people (military). Some patterns work if it's well matched to the surroundings, in the right light and you don't move. Move around and you're seen. My experience is animals either see movement or smell you. If they catch your sent, then they will look for you. If they see you, then they try to get down wind for your sent. I wear whatever works for the weather conditions in neutral colors (gray, green, brown, jeans,) and of course avoid anything bright, unless I happen to be where there are others hunting. The only camo I wear is quality outdoor clothing that is only available in a camo print/color and was at a price I couldn't pass up.
    X2, that's pretty much what I was trying to point out in my post above.

I've got very few pieces of camo. Most of what's available is too dark and too dense to use in the open country I hunt.

The Kuiu Vais does a pretty fair job but it's not better than the muted brown and grey. The Verde looks interesting but by the end of August in some areas it will be the only green thing for miles.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

If I was buying KUIU, I would definitely prefer their VIAS pattern! It is the closest to ASAT and I have found that to be terrific.

I completely agree that the use of camo is far over rated for most hunting. My dad who is 77 and still hunts with me is always busting my chops about wearing camo gear. Most of the stuff I've owned is because the camo is the only option. I see that KUIU is now offering the gear in the brown option which looks quite good.

If your going to buy high quality gear, specifically for hunting, why not buy camo?

I have several pieces of hunting clothing that wasn't available in camo so I got it in muted colors. If I can get it in camo I do.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    If your going to buy high quality gear, specifically for hunting, why not buy camo?

I have several pieces of hunting clothing that wasn't available in camo so I got it in muted colors. If I can get it in camo I do.

So I can wear/use my gear doing other things outdoors without looking ridiculous. I wouldn't waste money buying gear only for hunting and other gear for other outdoor activities. Good quality gear is too expensive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast