Thread: Is 44 year old hand loaded 30/06 ammo still okay. Stored in dry box.

Default Is 44 year old hand loaded 30/06 ammo still okay. Stored in dry box.

Found my box of reloading equipment and ammo. Is it still reliable after 44 years.

In all likelihood, yes.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Assuming you loaded it, very likely still fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Flattop View Post
    Found my box of reloading equipment and ammo. Is it still reliable after 44 years.
    Choot'em junior!! If you don't, give them to me and I will.

Given the circumstances you describe, I don't see why not.

If you're just shooting it up, bang away. But if you want the best accuracy, you likely need to "bump" the rounds. By that I mean put your bullet seating die into your press with the seating stem backed off. Raise a round into the die and lower the seating stem down finger tight against the bullet. Now raise the load lever and give the seating stem another half turn or so and lock it.

Now run all your rounds through the seating die to slightly move the bullets. Dunno why that works, but it sure does. It's an old trick I still use for handloads more than a couple of years old.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Given the circumstances you describe, I don't see why not.

If you're just shooting it up, bang away. But if you want the best accuracy, you likely need to "bump" the rounds. By that I mean put your bullet seating die into your press with the seating stem backed off. Raise a round into the die and lower the seating stem down finger tight against the bullet. Now raise the load lever and give the seating stem another half turn or so and lock it.

Now run all your rounds through the seating die to slightly move the bullets. Dunno why that works, but it sure does. It's an old trick I still use for handloads more than a couple of years old.
    I'd do what BB suggests. It sounds like a mighty fine idea. He is a very Smawwt mon.

It would break, and even up, the neck tension. With old handloads the bullets can really get welded into the necks for some, reason unknown to me.

Other than that, you could disassemble a couple, and check if the powder is loose, and like it should be.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Reliable? .....Maybe?.... Did you load it? Is the benefit worth the risk? Unless you know the exact pedigree of ammunition and how it was assembled and stored.... be cautious. Brass is alloy of zinc and copper that in time with conditions permitting will have a tendency to "bond" to copper jacketed bullets more so than applicable case neck tension.
    There are many sources of information pertaining to this topic with a simple google search that will be very enlightening.

I would get some good ear plugs and safety glasses and shoot it up at the range.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I would get some good ear plugs and safety glasses and shoot it up at the range.
    Or at least a few to see if they are performing like they should.......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    Choot'em junior!! If you don't, give them to me and I will.
    That's funny that you would be comfortable shooting reloaded 30.06 rounds from a complete stranger, when you have no history about how they were loaded, or the condition they have been kept in. But by all means; be my guest!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Anythingalaska View Post
    That's funny that you would be comfortable shooting reloaded 30.06 rounds from a complete stranger, when you have no history about how they were loaded, or the condition they have been kept in. But by all means; be my guest!
    No doubt, FL2AK would check them out and test them before using them.

However, It is a GOOD RULE to NEVER shoot someone else's handloads, for a variety of reasons.

I broke that rule ONE time, actually TWO shots, of an unknown Handload, in 338, just to get rid of them.

After, when I looked at the cases, as I usually do,,,,, BOY, were those primers FLAT.

No harm done, but NEVER AGAIN, will I do something like that.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

It's pretty easy to pull them down and replace powder with something you are sure of. Shooting someone elses reloads is not for me.

That's a big it depends...

I've shot WWII military surplus ammo that was over 60 years old and it was completely reliable.

I've also been given some unknown 6.5X55 reloads that after inspection I didn't dare fire because about 1/2 of them had split case necks, and when I started pulling the loads I found several of them where the copper in the bullet jackets had corroded to the point that the bullets were extremely difficult to pull.

I've also been given old powder supposedly properly stored where the powder had begun breaking down and the powder had brown rust like dust in it.

My recommendation would be to take several rounds and pull the bullets to exam the powder, bullets and cases for any sign of powder deterioration or metal corrosion.

My general rule of thumb regarding using a tool or something that is questionable is to evaluate the cost of the that item failing on me. A trip to the medical clinic, $100, new rifle, $500, a hunt going bust because of bad ammo, could be a whole bunch, serious bodily injury, $$$, your life, priceless.

Hence questionable ammo IMHO isn't worth risking a firearm over, and most definitely not risking your health over.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I'm always the nay-sayer in these . . . and I say if you feel the need to ask you answered the question!!!!

The test is "are you 100% confident in the ammo" and you ain't or wouldn't ask.

Or look at it this way;
    What is the replacement value of said questionable ammo?
    What is your gun worth?
    What is your vision, your fingers, or even your life worth??
    Now are the savings still worth the risk however small that risk may be?

I watched as my Dad fed 1944 surplus ammo to his M1 and was almost killed, yes almost killed, for some cheap ammo . . . turned out to be the real price included a new M1 and a doctor bill.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I'm always the nay-sayer in these . . . and I say if you feel the need to ask you answered the question!!!!

The test is "are you 100% confident in the ammo" and you ain't or wouldn't ask.

Or look at it this way;
    What is the replacement value of said questionable ammo?
    What is your gun worth?
    What is your vision, your fingers, or even your life worth??
    Now are the savings still worth the risk however small that risk may be?

I watched as my Dad fed 1944 surplus ammo to his M1 and was almost killed, yes almost killed, for some cheap ammo . . . turned out to be the real price included a new M1 and a doctor bill.
    Jeez; did the casing explode? Sounds horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Anythingalaska View Post
    Jeez; did the casing explode? Sounds horrible.
    Exploded sure nuf. Expanded the barrel inside the front receiver ring enough to split the ring, sheered the lugs off the bolt, turned the stock to splinters with a large hunk stabbed into his arm. I still have the rifle and put pix of it on here a bunch of times, would now but haven't put them on this new computer yet, I'll see if I can spot them.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Exploded sure nuf. Expanded the barrel inside the front receiver ring enough to split the ring, sheered the lugs off the bolt, turned the stock to splinters with a large hunk stabbed into his arm. I still have the rifle and put pix of it on here a bunch of times, would now but haven't put them on this new computer yet, I'll see if I can spot them.
    Pix are in this thread.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...+Garand+kaboom
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona