Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 73

Thread: Peoples junk and hunting spots?

  1. #1
    Member joebut1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    anchorage
    Posts
    407

    Default Peoples junk and hunting spots?

    So long story short, I took some people out caribou hunting this past weekend and where we decided to camp was a nice spot. It was obvious that someone at one time, had a fire there. On a short hike down through the trees I found what appeared to be camp stuff poorly wrapped in tarps and trash everywhere. So this leads me to a couple questions. Would you remove the obvious trash and haul it out or leave it there? If indeed this is someone's hunting spot and you camped there, would you leave if the original party showed up or would you stay?

  2. #2

    Default

    A lot really depends on the specific situation. For the most part, you can't expect to keep your hunting spot reserved for the next season by leaving your stash out there. I would never show up and expect someone to leave a camping site just because I had used it in the past and stashed some gear there. If I did stash something for a later season or the next year and came back to find someone camping there, I would chat with them briefly as I gathered my gear and then move on to another open spot further away. If it was a stash of gear from someone making multiple trips to get their stuff in (say it has only been there for maybe a day or so), then I would say they probably have some claim to it and I wouldn't move in on that location.

    As far as trash goes, we will typically try to haul out what we can. Best to leave a place as clean or cleaner than you found it.

  3. #3
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,600

    Default

    I would leave the other stuff alone and probably find a different spot if light allowed. I have no problem passing by hundred year old fish camps or generations old moose camps even if it is public land,I figure the users are part of the public.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

  4. #4
    Member hodgeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction AK
    Posts
    4,055

    Default

    This is more typical than we think. I find stuff out and about all the time.

    If the equipment looks pretty fresh, like in the last few days or weeks then I'd likely find another spot. If it's old- camp away.

    One of my frequent hunting spots has a really nice semi-permanent camp with a lot of stuff in it- coleman fuel, stove, and a permanent tin roof. As near as I can tell I am the last person to camp there....two years ago. From the amount of silt and dirt coating everything I'm thinking it's abandoned for some time now. It's tidy so I figure it might be a good emergency bivouac should someone need it but I sure wouldn't move to another spot waiting on the owner to come back.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

  5. #5
    Member joebut1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    anchorage
    Posts
    407

    Default

    I for one don't like to camp where other people camp. It just so happened that there where other peoples stuff in the area(wouldn't have even know if I didn't go for a hike).

    Where I used to moose hunt we had a really nice moose camp (never left anything in there). There was once when we came to camp and there where other people there. It was no big deal just stopped in said hi and went about our way. But I have been on the other side to where someone was yelling and complaining about how my hunting partner and I had camped in there moose spot and where chasing around all there moose. I guess he felt a sense of entitlement. None the less we left and camped somewhere else. Don't really understand why some people try to lay claim to public land.

  6. #6
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,600

    Default

    I wish the state would start selling land besides their little subdivision tracks.State could keep ownership of all lakes water way for say five hundred yards both sides.Make it where any resident could go find ten acres he liked off the grid/road system and buy it,make it twenty acres for family and vets pay half price. Charge twenty bucks an acre yearly tax and must live on the land five months a year. Let Alaskans have some stake in the game.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

  7. #7
    Member Steve Springer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    280

    Default

    I'm always hauling out trash form fisherman and hunters, it keeps our image in a better light. I don't touch obvious stashes, just trash, wish more would do the same, or better yet, wish more would take out what they take in. My 2 cents.

  8. #8
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Springer View Post
    I'm always hauling out trash form fisherman and hunters, it keeps our image in a better light. I don't touch obvious stashes, just trash, wish more would do the same, or better yet, wish more would take out what they take in. My 2 cents.
    What are "trash form fishermen and hunters", and how heavy are they to haul out?

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I wish the state would start selling land besides their little subdivision tracks.State could keep ownership of all lakes water way for say five hundred yards both sides.Make it where any resident could go find ten acres he liked off the grid/road system and buy it,make it twenty acres for family and vets pay half price. Charge twenty bucks an acre yearly tax and must live on the land five months a year. Let Alaskans have some stake in the game.
    I like the idea, but out of staters would get it all. Make it like the original Homestead Act of 1862. Have to live on it 5 years (full time) Have to improve the land (structures) and have to farm it.

  10. #10
    Member Steve Springer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    280

    Talking

    from I meant to say

  11. #11
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    I like the idea, but out of staters would get it all. Make it like the original Homestead Act of 1862. Have to live on it 5 years (full time) Have to improve the land (structures) and have to farm it.
    I put in there resident so that would not happen,could have put dividen qualified.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

  12. #12
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,788

    Default

    You'd have to free up a butt load of federal land. The state doesn't really own that much.

  13. #13
    Member Sobie2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Juneau
    Posts
    1,039

    Default

    The only difference between a poorly wrapped camp with trash all over, and an organized stash/camp is a bear.

    Sobie2

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    138

    Default

    I agree with Sobie, however it is our responsibility to ensure that the "stash" we leave is adequately protected. If you can't get it high in the tree then over packs or trunks etc.... can be used. If we are in bear country then it is incumbent upon us hunters to take the appropriate measures. Otherwise the stash becomes trash. No excuses! Just my opinion.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,175

    Default

    This is by far my favorite annual hunting season question. "My hunting Spot" is the ground that my feet and the space where my tent is occupying at the time. It's not "Your spot" till your occupying it. There is no "Save my Spot" regulations. If I'm in "The spot you were headed to" I'm sorry. If you're in "The spot I was headed to" I'll move on. I've been hunting in this state for 8 years and I rate equal access to public land just as anyone whose been here hunting for 40 years. You're traditional family hunting camp that is on general use/public land is NOT yours and I'll gladly camp in it if its unoccupied and BTW a stash of camp gear and wall tents does not meet the definition of Occupy. Thanks oldtimers for putting in the trails, but I'm here now and I have the means to explore all of your trails.

    Flame on.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    105

    Default

    It is always nice to think of transferring land into private ownership but the big problem start there. After it becomes private it is no longer open to public use and then you will see the opportunities to hunt public land dwindle out of sight and we will end up like so many of the lower 48 states where it costs big buck to hunt private land. State and federal land (Excetion of National Parks that should be open to hunting and traditional uses) for the most part is very important for those of use who like to enjoy public land and if it were to turn to private property that opportuinty would be gone, and we would see a drastic shift from ope to use to open to use if you have big $$ to pay for the trespass fee or hunting fee on provate land.

  17. #17
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    ...I'll gladly camp in it if its unoccupied and BTW a stash of camp gear and wall tents does not meet the definition of Occupy. Thanks oldtimers for putting in the trails, but I'm here now and I have the means to explore all of your trails.

    Flame on.
    Why bother. You understand nothing of traditional Alaska.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Why bother. You understand nothing of traditional Alaska.
    Maybe. But my traditional Alaska started 8 years ago. I traditionally go scouting for "My (hopefully no one is in it) Spot" in the summer. I traditionally go hunting for various game from Aug 10 through Sept 20. I traditionally get a copy of the most recent hunting regs to make sure I'm compliant for the GMU that I'm hunting in. I traditionally, have NEVER camped in a hunting spot that was occupied by human beings or appeared to be occupied by human beings. I traditionally run across hunters who think that just because they have hunted a certain valley for 25 years that the area is somehow "There hunting Spot" and I traditionally tell them to pound sand and move down the trail and hunt. If you want exclusive access to hunting ground - buy it or permit it. Otherwise beat me to it.

  19. #19
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,788

    Default

    Ahhhh... the ME generation. Nuff said.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Eagle River,AK
    Posts
    1,494

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    Maybe. But my traditional Alaska started 8 years ago. I traditionally go scouting for "My (hopefully no one is in it) Spot" in the summer. I traditionally go hunting for various game from Aug 10 through Sept 20. I traditionally get a copy of the most recent hunting regs to make sure I'm compliant for the GMU that I'm hunting in. I traditionally, have NEVER camped in a hunting spot that was occupied by human beings or appeared to be occupied by human beings. I traditionally run across hunters who think that just because they have hunted a certain valley for 25 years that the area is somehow "There hunting Spot" and I traditionally tell them to pound sand and move down the trail and hunt. If you want exclusive access to hunting ground - buy it or permit it. Otherwise beat me to it.
    And this folks is one of many reasons hunting is going to $%#! up here, no respect. I understand the need to work togther with the over crowding but come on, use commen sense. I invite you to come up to the Yukon or Kusk and beat people to THEIR traditional hunting camps and tell them to "pound sand". I'd pay for the ticket for a front seat on that one! EIGHT years?? hahahaha!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •