Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Water Quality (filter, boil, carry) on Yukon & Tanana Rivers (or just in general

Default Water Quality (filter, boil, carry) on Yukon & Tanana Rivers (or just in general

I'm starting to pack for a 10 day trip on the Yukon and Tanana Rivers in my Sport Boat, and I'm starting to pack up the food and camp kitchen stuff. Having never been there, the thought occurred to me to ask what is the water quality like on those rivers? I have a Katadyn Hiker water filter and I filter 100% of the water I drink from streams, and that has always been sufficient. Is there anything particularly nasty about those two rivers (or some other place in AK for future reference) that might suggest that I should be boiling or chemically treating my water? (I'd HATE to have to carry enough fuel to boil drinking water. Cooking water gets boiled anyway.) I suppose I could carry water in one of my 5 gal containers. At a half gal per day for cooking, I would be just about out at the end of my trip. (Actually, allowing for drinking water, I'd be out of water a few days before the end of my trip and would have to filter, boil, or treat anyway. Plus, that's an extra 45 lbs in the boat-at least at the beginning. What do you guys think?

The Tanana and Yukon are glacier fed and silty, that might clog up your filter. Find clear tributaries and fill water bladders.

I tried to filter some Tanana water a couple years ago - active charcoal filter thingy from Sportsmen's. The Tanana plugged upmy filter before Ihad a quart fo clean water to use.

From there I filled an empty clear plastic gallon jug with near shore tanana water. After a week at home on my deck sitting still I had a gallon of still grey water with about a half inch of silt in the bottom of the jug.

Dunno about the Yukon, on the Tanana I take more water than I am going to need.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    I'm starting to pack for a 10 day trip on the Yukon and Tanana Rivers in my Sport Boat, and I'm starting to pack up the food and camp kitchen stuff. Having never been there, the thought occurred to me to ask what is the water quality like on those rivers? I have a Katadyn Hiker water filter and I filter 100% of the water I drink from streams, and that has always been sufficient. Is there anything particularly nasty about those two rivers (or some other place in AK for future reference) that might suggest that I should be boiling or chemically treating my water? (I'd HATE to have to carry enough fuel to boil drinking water. Cooking water gets boiled anyway.) I suppose I could carry water in one of my 5 gal containers. At a half gal per day for cooking, I would be just about out at the end of my trip. (Actually, allowing for drinking water, I'd be out of water a few days before the end of my trip and would have to filter, boil, or treat anyway. Plus, that's an extra 45 lbs in the boat-at least at the beginning. What do you guys think?
    We carry water in. The silt is bad. I was told the water is safe to drink with a filter but it's just to hard to filter the silt. There is a place I go to occasionally that has a stream about two miles away. We send the teenagers to pack water in when we start getting low.

Well that's kind of surprising. I expected folks to laugh at me for even asking. Glad I asked. Glad I'm going in a canoe, so I can carry all this stuff. I'll toss in a 5 gal container in the bow for trim. That plus the 2 gals I can carry in my pack should get me though.

Is it okay or even possible to wash dishes with water from the river?

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    Well that's kind of surprising. I expected folks to laugh at me for even asking. Glad I asked. Glad I'm going in a canoe, so I can carry all this stuff. I'll toss in a 5 gal container in the bow for trim. That plus the 2 gals I can carry in my pack should get me though.

Is it okay or even possible to wash dishes with water from the river?
    last year we did use water from the slough off the Yukon for washing dishes. Then wiped down with a towel.

I have never understood HOW humans managed to live in Alaska for hundreds and/or thousands of years.......without some sissy-assed water filter.

If the silt (Which is harmless) bothers you-all, just use a clean (HELL even a dirty) Tee shirt & a small bungee on a pot or pail to filter out the "UGLY' silt......

Real'men just drink the water, silt and all.

Do and Don't:

Personally I would boil all the water because of beaver fever.
    I've used a tarp to collect rain water.
    Used a clean tee shirt for the big stuff and a coffee filter for the silt. Let us know if it works.

You can also dig a hole a few feet from the water the gravel will acts as a filter.

Never drink water below a Village.........need I say more!!!!!!!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Do and Don't:

Personally I would boil all the water because of beaver fever.
    I've used a tarp to collect rain water.
    Used a clean tee shirt for the big stuff and a coffee filter for the silt. Let us know if it works.

You can also dig a hole a few feet from the water the gravel will acts as a filter.

Never drink water below a Village.........need I say more!!!!!!!
    Gravel works well to filter out silt and debris, but not for giardia or crypto.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Gravel works well to filter out silt and debris, but not for giardia or crypto.
    Or dead fish buried in the gravel.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I have never understood HOW humans managed to live in Alaska for hundreds and/or thousands of years.......without some sissy-assed water filter.

If the silt (Which is harmless) bothers you-all, just use a clean (HELL even a dirty) Tee shirt & a small bungee on a pot or pail to filter out the "UGLY' silt......

Real'men just drink the water, silt and all.
    and many got sick or even died.

Have be I ever drank unfiltered water? Sure. When I was younger. In emergency situations. Now I treat if at all possible. If that makes me not to be a real man, then show me the women's section. Lol.

PM me I work in water treatment, use a coagulant to settle water then filter. Not removing colloidal silt and glacier fines clogs filters and shields and bacteria. Kurt

All I can say is that in nearly 45 years in Alaska I have never filtered any water. I have NEVER been sick from water, I fact the last time I was sick at all was in 1985 I got a bad cold. I would generally spend about 90 days afield guiding clients every fall, and I have never filtered their water, and never had a client get sick when afield. Where I live now, I have lived for the last 15 years, and all of my water comes from a creek 1/4 mile from the cabin. I have never ever filtered any water, and I did have a cold 29 years ago.

My personal theory is that people don't have enough natural bacteria in their system, which is why they are sick all the time. I was raised on a dairy farm in the 40's and 50's We drank the milk straight from the teat of the cow, we never had pasteurized milk. On the farm our water came from the creek where the cows grazed.

Between antibiotic and chlorinated water most Americans have soft internal plumbing systems that will lead to their death if the SHTF and there are no filters for the water they drink. People need to harden their personal bodies operating system. If you have ever visited Mexico......why do the Americans "NEED" filtered bottled water. And the Locals don't........????

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    and many got sick or even died.

Have be I ever drank unfiltered water? Sure. When I was younger. In emergency situations. Now I treat if at all possible. If that makes me not to be a real man, then show me the women's section. Lol.

All I can say is that in nearly 45 years in Alaska I have never filtered any water. I have NEVER been sick from water, I fact the last time I was sick at all was in 1985 I got a bad cold. I would generally spend about 90 days afield guiding clients every fall, and I have never filtered their water, and never had a client get sick when afield. Where I live now, I have lived for the last 15 years, and all of my water comes from a creek 1/4 mile from the cabin. I have never ever filtered any water, and I did have a cold 29 years ago.

My personal theory is that people don't have enough natural bacteria in their system, which is why they are sick all the time. I was raised on a dairy farm in the 40's and 50's We drank the milk straight from the teat of the cow, we never had pasteurized milk. On the farm our water came from the creek where the cows grazed.

Between antibiotic and chlorinated water most Americans have soft internal plumbing systems that will lead to their death if the SHTF and there are no filters for the water they drink. People need to harden their personal bodies operating system. If you have ever visited Mexico......why do the Americans "NEED" filtered bottled water. And the Locals don't........????
    And why wouldn't there be any filters?

It is a secret. But here is a clue how come there was no .22 LR ammo for a few weeks.......
    And why wouldn't there be any filters?

It is a secret. But here is a clue how come there was no .22 LR ammo for a few weeks.......
    Ha! Those darned filter horders are such a pain aren't they?

Ha! Those darned filter horders are such a pain aren't they?

You say that, but...

About 2 years ago I was in a Sports Authority in Tampa (one I used to work at) while visiting family, and they had a hole pallet of Katadyn Hiker filter elements for like $10 each. I wish I had bought the hole pallet.

a few weeks.......
    You have a warped sense of time. Yup, seems like just last week I could buy 22 ammo for $3 a box. The good ole days.

i can agree with almost everything you say here. My theory is if it's running and clear it's good. However knowing people that have gotten sick from bacteria in water, I don't want it. I was raised on well water. No filters. No chlorine. Never got sick. Spent most of my childhood summers in mountains drinking from creeks and springs.

Maybe be it's the muddy color of the yukon that keeps me from sipping from it. However if I was stranded and needed water, I'd sip.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast