Thread: Would you rather....

Default Would you rather....

Would you rather go on a walk in haul road caribou hunt or... Get dropped off in PWS for deer/black bear? We are trying to debate what hunt we would like to do. We've never shot deer or caribou and don't know the first thing about it. Planning to leave around mid September but may not get out till early October. We will only be able to afford 5-7 days for hunting. Anybody have any opinions/advise to share? Thanks!

If it was me, I'd opt for the PWS hunt. PWS is a beautiful place.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

PWS for Deer hunting.

That being said; why PWS? If I was going to go deer hunting I would try and make it to Kodiak, or down to Southeast if possible. Better genetics, more deer, and less pressure.

Honestly, my dad gave me the two options and told me to research and figure it out. It may be a money problem but I don't know for certain. I'll have to bring it up to him.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Deer, no question. Carrying a caribou for 5 miles across tundra is no joke...plus if you don't get out till early Oct, it will undoubtedly be getting quite cold/snowy up north, adding additional safety issues to the ordeal.

Deer - either PWS or POW island. Or Spring bear hunt PWS. You will not find a better quality blackie anywhere in the US. (as far as hide quality).

POW is a really great place to hunt. Lived there for 9 years. I preferred early Sept hunting for deer..climbing up into the alpine. Tough terrain, but beautiful country.

Also - if you hunt PWS and you have a boat of some sort, you can fish PWS is a phenomenal place too..everywhere in AK has it's own beauty, but there is nothing as beautiful as the coastal areas, IMO.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Funny, I had the same debate with myself until about two weeks ago when caribou won. High winter kill especially on Montague (I read, but didn't verify 80%) the winter before last was a factor in my decision. Horror stories of Hinchenbrook weather also contributed, and when I found I'd be working in Fairbanks next week, the decision was made.

In Oct... easy.... PWS.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by AKFF View Post
    Funny, I had the same debate with myself until about two weeks ago when caribou won. High winter kill especially on Montague (I read, but didn't verify 80%) the winter before last was a factor in my decision. Horror stories of Hinchenbrook weather also contributed, and when I found I'd be working in Fairbanks next week, the decision was made.

You are correct that the deer did get hammered two winters ago... and that should be a consideration for grouse(OP).
    I hope they are on their way to recovery. Took this photo in July (this yr) on the north side of montague....
    She actually came down on the beach shortly after we left it and went to the boat. Curious creature. Did not see a fawn with her, but maybe she had one in the timber.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

For what it's worth; we are off to a record deer season here in northern southeast. After 3 mild winters in a row; the deer are literally everywhere. They have thrived these past few years. It's not uncommon to cruise the beaches just north of town and see 10-30 deer on the beach. Quite a few bucks have been shot off the beach here in in August, which is totally uncommon for this time of year. Went up a mountain last week and saw 30+ deer. Definitely off to a good start! Hopefully this winter is kind as well.