Thread: Need new tires advice?

Default Need new tires advice?

2006 Dodge Power Wagon, last set were BF Goodrich MUD-TERRAIN T/A KM2. Great tires and I'd like to buy them again, just not sure how they would do in AK. Anybody running these truck tires up there? Any advice on good tire chains would be appreciated too.

Size:
    LT285/70R17 121/118Q

Load Range D

http://m.tirerack.com/tires/TireDeta...omCompare1=yes

If you liked the big mud t/a's, you will love the Toyo M/T's. Quieter. Smoother. Lasts longer and the biggest selling point is they are FAR stickier on ice than the bfg's are. The Toyo's are about like running a set of studded bfg's in the winter on ice. I ran bfg's for 20 years before the switch to Toyo. They are more $$$ but worth every penny.

We don't run chains in Alaska.

In the winter, you have the option of just running full time 4x4 (many folks lock it in 4x4 after first snow and leave it there all winter), or buying studded snow tires to run in the winter (have to change tires twice a year), or you get your tires heavily siped (or buy a set that is already siped).

Siped tires are better than studs when it comes to traction on ice & snow covered roads and you don't have to change them twice per year.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

While most people don't run chains in Alaska, there absolutely are times and places when having a pair or two pairs for 4wd vehicles can save your butt. I have studded tires for my truck, and while they work well in the winter, when we have freezing rain, or a melt where water is running on ice, chains come into their own if you have to drive in the hills. Cable chains are inexpensive and easy to put on, but they offer limited grip and are fragile. V-bar chains and similar are the way to go. There is a chain shop in Anchorage that can set you up.

The downside to studs is if you're on main roads much of the winter you're driving on pavement not ice and after a season or two the studs are shot. On our sedans we run stud less winter tires that are heavily siped and use a very soft grippy compound. While you can run them year round and get about 40k miles on a set, after a couple of years you've gone through the softer rubber on the outer layer and the grip isn't nearly as good as the new tires.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Thanks for the input everyone. Won't bother with the chains right now. The truck won't see much in the way of mileage since I work offshore 8 months out of the year. Plus I'll have two snowmachines, an ATV and a tracked Argo up there. What tire shop do you guys use between Wassila and Talkeenta? Getting ready to drive the 5000 miles and the tires will be just about finished when I get there. Might just throw a new set on before the drive but I have 8/32 tread left right now.