Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 Calibers

Default 2 Calibers

Given the variety of big game in Alaska, if one were limited to two rifle calibers for all Alaskan hunting, predators on up to and including the big bears, what two rifle calibers would you select for Alaska?
    Thanks in advance.

Vince

.338 win mag and a .243...
    That'll cover the critters from foxes to brownies..
    Ammo for both is readily available and if you reload, they're not too finicky of a round in that regard...
    My .02....

Default 2 Calibers

.375 h&h and .22lr

That's the two I carry a I may be a bit biased...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

300 Weatherby Win Mag and 243. I just shot a goat with the 300 and wished I had used the 243...
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

How about a 6.5x284 and .338 Win Mag?
    That's my 2 gun combo. I have to handload for the 6.5x284 but I'd do that anyway.

For me it would be a toss up between a 30-06 and a 338WM for the top end. With the 30-06 one could reload bullet weights from 100 grain up to 220 with out too much of an issue. With the 338WM one could hand load bullets from about 160 grains up to 275-300. For varmints it would be a 22 mag as that would handle most varmints as long as one watched their shots. If I could sneak a 243 in then that would be my next choice.
    The other question would be 'why only two weapons'?

Because I'm paring down the selections to the more needed and less esoteric.

Reading Phil Shoemaker on more than one occasion recommend the 30-06 for brown bear - the Kodiak species, I have been re-thinking my gun lineup too. With the versatility of the new powders and bullets, the '06 is even better than ever. Then I would pair the '06 with a .223 of similar model.
    I know its boring for a gun looney, but if you want it bare bones practical, who can argue?

.22mag and .375 HH mag.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

.375 h&h with a .223 for a hand loader would be very versatile as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll second or third or whatever the 30-06. Ammo is plentiful, easy to find even during "the shortage," and it's a LOT cheaper thanthose other big artillery pieces, such as win mags etc etc.

I would avoid a rimfire. Ammo is too expensive for what is. Go with a 22 Hornet and load your own, or use a 243 with those spendy Hornady V max rounds for your small game & varmints. (I'm surprised folks are recommending a 243. They usually blast me when I mention it.)

At any rate, avoid the calibers that are specialized and hard to find, or big and expensive. The 30-06 is the Alaska do-it-all rifle and it does it a lot cheaper than a 375.

You didn't mention a shotgun for upland birds and waterfowl (or a shotgun only draw hunt for moose).

Agree with 375H&H and 223.

30.06 and .22lr

358 Norma Mag (2nd choice 350 Rem mag, 3rd choice 35 Whelen..See a Patern?) & 22-250.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Ha ha! These kinds of threads. THR has a lot of them too... people who can't do/buy/choose anything without the input of the crowd... which is always more than ready to throw in their considered opinion. Very entertaining if nothing else, but where are the people who can think for themselves anymore?

Arrows and some rocks. That's all I'd need.

I've got a strong arm.

I figure everyone will have, in addition to the two rifle calibers, a shotgun, .22LR of some sort, and a handgun or three. This is just about rifle choices. I'm leaning towards the .338 Win Mag and 6.5x284 Norma but I'll sneak a 30-06 and 25-06 in too, truth be known.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    Arrows and some rocks. That's all I'd need.

I've got a strong arm.
    Pot maybe BB gun for small game and .22 lr for large game?

Serious answer would be 30-06 and .223 (243 I do like but haven't used it up here yet).

7.62X54R and .22LR, of course.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Interesting that the Original Poster inquired about Calibers for Alaska, and then in several posts chooses to lists Cartridges. A cartridge has a caliber, but a caliber is NOT a cartridge.

To have this discussion at all it must be married to the operating system delivering the cartridge. Three rounds delivered from a self-chambering operating system with a much lesser cartridge (for example: .270 Winchester) all delivered in under two seconds, will be more effective than a more powerful cartridge (with heavy recoil & delayed recovery time from said recoil) delivered from a manually operated crank'it open & crank'it shut bolt action system.

I have become more and more enchanted for both defense of aggressive animals (both 2 & 4 legged) and offensive game procurement with the self-loading operating systems. (ie Remington 750, Winchester 100, Browning BAR, AR-15 & AR-10) I could do it all with only one center-fire auto-loading rifle. Brown Bear to Coyote with a reliable "Mid'Caliber" self-loader, in the range of 6.8 SPC-II to the 30'Gov't. (or any of the hundred cartridges between the two).........

NOTE: All of the above assumes the operator has chosen the proper designed projectile for the task, and has extensive experience with his firearm.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast