Thread: Re-Decking a utility/ATV Trailer

Default Re-Decking a utility/ATV Trailer

Sorry if this is in the wrong sub-forum - I didn't see anything that fit exactly what I am looking for - advice on re-decking a trailer.

So the trailer I have needs new decking- the old stuff ( 2x8x10's) was painted black on both sides. Of the 8 sticks used for the trailer only two of them rotted out - so whatever they (assume the manufacturer) painted on it worked decently...

I looked at using treated lumber but I wanted to put some sort of sealant that will withstand weather and use...

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Truck bed liner.

Truck bed liner will work temporarily unless you totally encapsulate it. The wood will swell and shrink with temp and humidity and cause the coating to separate. I was going to have this done to some boat flooring but the company that sprays it highly suggested against applying it to wood.

Quote Originally Posted by bashley View Post
    Truck bed liner will work temporarily unless you totally encapsulate it. The wood will swell and shrink with temp and humidity and cause the coating to separate. I was going to have this done to some boat flooring but the company that sprays it highly suggested against applying it to wood.
    Thanks for the insight bashley - I wouldn't had thought of that!
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

I have a similar project in mind for this winter. I don't have any wood rotted out and it is treated but it is severely weathered. I was going to use Restore paint product from Home Depot. Any thoughts about this approach? For the OP project, maybe replace the boards and paint the treated wood with Restore for a nice finish?

Deck-over works also. Strip and clean several times with deck wash. You probably have a lot of road grime layered on the planks. I used a deck attachment for my pressure washer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

I built my trailer in 1996 and used treated 3/4 inch plywood and it is still sound, but looks weathered. My span is 2' on center on a 8' 6" bed and I haul 1,000 lb. machines. Out door wood that is approved for ground contact should last a long time. Oiling it will probably make it last longer but it really does not soak up oil well since it is treated, but any cut end should be oiled. My favorite outdoor oil is Australian Timber oil that can be found in Anchorage. Runs about 50 bucks a gallon and I can get 3 years out of it before I put another coat on our cedar fence. Treated ply wood lasts longer if the pressure washer is used with care. There are a bunch of homes in Alaska that have treated wood foundations so it is good stuff for rough damp use. The best is the green treated 2x6 used for foundations, they should last as long as you do.