Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catastrophic fall of my Dall sheep mount:-(

Default Catastrophic fall of my Dall sheep mount:-(

Hey all

I havent been on here much since I left. Mostly lurking in the shadows and ready all of your posts when I can. Missing the adventures of the great state!

So I heard a crash the other day. Went to look and was almost brought to tears! The mount in the wall actually broke.

I wanted to share here as this was the first place I shared the completed mount. Rich did such a good job on it!

These first two are on th mountain and the finished mount.

Any ideas of what if anything can be done with the head portion? Maybe another cool mount design?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default the fatal results of the crash!!

and the aftermath!!!

Bummer...Maybe a good taxidermist could put it back together for you?
    "Grin and Bear It"

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Wow, that sucks!!!!! A taxidermist can get a new cape and redo the mount. I've re-done whitetail mounts with new capes, not that big of a deal.

Suck!! Man...so sorry to see that! As others have said, with a new cape it could be redone, but obviously that would come with another financial investment. Such an awesome ram, and regardless of its size, I'm sure it also represents an awesome memory for you.

I have a ram whose horns have been sitting on my floor for years while I work on getting a new cape for it. The cape was destroyed in the tanning process, and I haven't taken a sheep since. If I take one next week in Delta, I'll use that cape for my old ram and do a European display with my new one - unless of course I happen to take a ram like yours, in which case it'll be a shoulder mount instead.

You would be surprised what a taxidermist can do. First think would be to take it to a taxidermist locally.
    Otherwise, a cool sheep mount/head mount, is a 'backpack' mount - put it together in a diorama of a completed hunt...maybe with a wolverine trying to claim the 'prize' (A mount that has been on my mind to do for a while)...Or, start puttinf the feelers out for another cape. Remounts are common!

Oh, and I honestly cannot believe there is not a wooden stake in that neck/head. The jonas forms all have wooden stake running through to prevent exactly what happened to your mount. (that is not a jonas form, however).

Juli
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Jason, holy smokes. that sucks. so sorry brother. it might take a new cape, but its fixable.
    probably fell from lonelines. come back and shoot another.

bob

OOOOH What a bummer, It can be fixed, The fact that its a full sneak position should make the repair unnoticeable. Protect the broken surfaces so can go back together exactly where it broke. Find an experienced taxidermist.

appreciate the response Bob. Hope all is well up there with you and family. He wasn't lonely! hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by holly View Post
    Jason, holy smokes. that sucks. so sorry brother. it might take a new cape, but its fixable.
    probably fell from lonelines. come back and shoot another.

bob

Sorry to see that, I was super nervous about hanging my lynx on the wall, that makes me more worried! Good luck with the repair!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JuliW View Post
    You would be surprised what a taxidermist can do. First think would be to take it to a taxidermist locally
    Let Jim Benson take a look in EGF. Go Sioux!

http://sportsmanstaxidermystudio.com
    Go Big Red!

2014 Cape on Craigs list: c2jkd-4634341392@sale.craigslist.org

What a bummer! One time in the middle of the night we heard a loud noise that woke everyone up. One of my sheep fell off the wall but luckily it landed on a large tin of popcorn we had received as a holiday gift. The horns were a direct hit on the tin and popcorn was everywhere but my ram was non the worse for wear. Good luck with the repair.

Check with your homeowners insurance. You may have coverage under that. It can't hurt anyways.
    Hope it all works out for the least amount of change from your pocket.
    Great sheep by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by logman 49 View Post
    2014 Cape on Craigs list: c2jkd-4634341392@sale.craigslist.org
    Not to hijack this thread, but is $700 a fair price for a sheep cape? I have no experience in the area and I'm just curious.

plentycoupe,
    I have seen this before down here with whitetails and a talented taxidermist can repair that. Now please tell us what failed - did the attachment on the wall pull out or did the point of attachment on the back of the mount fail?

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabarbwire View Post
    OOOOH What a bummer, It can be fixed, The fact that its a full sneak position should make the repair unnoticeable. Protect the broken surfaces so can go back together exactly where it broke. Find an experienced taxidermist.
    Agree with alaskabarbwire. I have fixed a similar Dall sheep mishap, and you can't notice the damaged area where it broke apart. Just looking at the photos, I think any experienced taxidermist can easily line the hair patterns up and reattach things so they will be hardly noticed (if at all). Fortunately, the face and ears appear undamaged.

I'd really like to see a photo of the broken mount...

You could use the head and mount it like this....

I would call Rich and ask for his option... That said if you want to go the the expense of shipping it back here, Dave Winney in Valdez at Frontier Taxidermy specializes in remounting and fixing sheep. I have seen some with that very same thing there and he does amazing work and gets capes every year, I know he has a few now.

Here is my wife's ram he mounted with a damaged cape.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Steven,

The overall quality of the cape determines the value...A blood stained, ill cared for cape won't fetch $200 (if anything at all, plenty of sheep capes have been tossed because they were not treated properly in the field)....A perfect cape, long enough to do a pedestal or extended shoulder might get $700 from the right buyer...The demand determines the price...there probably is someone out there who had a $15K hunt whose cape was ruined, that would be willing to pay the $700....if you want it badly enough, I guess you are willing to pay the price. LOL
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Jeez, Mr. Steve, a guy wouldn't want to walk around in your 'sheep room' without the lights on!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast