Thread: Offroad Trail/Dirt Bikes for Hunting?

Question Offroad Trail/Dirt Bikes for Hunting?

Don't laugh, but I was just curious if you've ever heard of anyone using off-road or trail bikes for hunting applications? Obviously, you couldn't really carry loads out, but I was just wondering if you've ever known anyone who has used them to hunt? I like 4 wheelers, but I miss the nimble feel of a trail bike.

No I don't think it's too practical unless it's on some sort of logging road or trail. Most that have dirt ability don't have strenght in the tail frame where you would load camp gear. The two exceptions are a XR650L Honda (I own one) or a KLR 650 Kawasaki. Both are on off road bikes.

They make some fat tired all terrain bike - I can't remember what they are called. Big balloon tires. They've been around since the 60's. Only goes twenty miles an hour but very tough and will take a load. I'll see if I can find a link. Those would work fine.

I know a guy that uses his bike to hunt. I have never been where he hunts but he claims you would never get in there with anything else and that is the reason the hunting is as good as it is there. I have seen pictures of his success so I wouldn't discount this at all.

Honda made a bike with wheeler tires in about the mid 80's. It was call a Fat Cat. My Uncle bought one and I road it around his place and in the mountains in Montana. It was geared pretty low for going through the rough stuff. I haven't seen one since but here is a link with pictures from another forum http://forums.everything2stroke.com/...da-fatcat.html I'd say anything you were packing would be on your back and I don't recall how sturdy the suspension was but we had fun with it.

If you pack light a dirt bike can get you to good hunting areas. The problem is always packing the meat out. You can load them up, but they become pretty difficult to control with a lot of extra weight on them. I have some friends that have gone along with four wheelers, and used the bikes to spread out to other areas. I think they would have limited use as a hunting rig though. Besides that, I think riding a dirt bike takes more skill than putting through the outback on four wheels.

The Yamaha TW200 is a another fat tired dirt bike with low gearing. Perhaps it's the only Japanese version still being sold. A friend of mine just bought one, and it looks like it would make an excellent off road bike. Probably too small and light to pack a heavy load. http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/pr...e/10/home.aspx

The 2x2 Rokon might be a worthy exception though. They look like they could pack a fair load, and the videos I've seen were quite amazing in where it could go. They will do some things that four wheelers would have a lot of difficulty with. Still, I think a four wheeler is a more practical rig for hunting.

i have 2 Rokon's you can pack quite a bit but when front is loaded and wheel full of fuel ( my newer one carries 2.5 gallon in each wheel, older one i think 4.5gal) they are difficult to steer and they will really give you a work out. no where as easy and comfortable to drive as 4 wheelers. these are 2 wheel drive and will go lots of places others won't.....but not fast. i also have the side car for my rokon. i had a Yamaha big wheel mid 80's model 200cc, faster but only one drive wheel and would not do what the Rokon would. a friend has my old yamaha and might be interested in selling it if someone is interested. actually i have his old rokon that could be sold as well.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

My grandpa used to ride an old honda trail 90 when we went hunting. He could carry a day pack but that's it. We (my dad, brother and I) rode Big Reds so we had a way to get out with the meat. Otherwise, it isn't really practical to use a bike unless its one of the rokon's you guys mentioned.

Tim

My father hunted lots in Montana off his Trail-Breaker now called the Rokon. It will go places no 4-Wheeler will even be able to (2 wheel drive, and unstopable) you can even float them if need be. Also a rough ride and a heavy bike when loaded down.

as a kid we used to use them for scouting new areas in the summer. We could cover a ton of teritory on enduro bikes and hi perf quads. Besides it gives you a good excuse for riding in the summer.

The rokon is probably the best bet for slow going busting through the woods if you need to pack a load IMO.If you know how to ride a bike well you can go more places on a bike than a 4-wheeler.Although not a bike pertaining to the use of hunting,i can get to places on my CRF450R that I wouldnt try even on my Foreman 450ES with 27" ITP 589's,2" lift and DGL locker.How many times have you had the "pucker factor" set in when haveing to perform extreme sidehilling on a wheeler.On a bike,no problem...I went over 50 miles back in out of Eureka last weekend and camped for 3 nites up the Big Oshetna(on the Foreman) and the thought of being on my CRF crossed my mind a time or two.If I was gonna go with a bike for my hunting trips a Rokon it would be.