Thread: Winter Training classes

Default Winter Training classes

I'm looking to see how much interest there would be in a retriever training class that would span through out the winter.
    The goal would be to help those wanting to advance their dogs skills and to teach owners handling abilities along the way. This would be for those building up a started retriever and/or those looking to advance from started to running multiple marks and blind running.
    A training format would be explained so that owners would know each step in the process and which step would be next. The class would involve both yard drills and field marking. Indoor and outdoor training can be expected.
    Any breed listed as eligible to compete in NAHRA and AKC field events would be eligible. A reminder to, even if your retriever isn't registered there are still steps that can be taken to get them registered. Thus making them eligible to run hunt test.
    An estimated start time would be early November. Running on weekends primarily but weekday evening sessions can also be available.
    Let me know your thoughts and ideas. Thanks

When I had my chesador, Nestle, I would have loved to have classes available for her. I ran Nestle in NAHRA/MSGDA events. As per NAHRA rules, she could run, but not title... Then I got my first Chessie and had fun with both venues.

You might consider also allowing mixed breed retrievers because there may be some folks who want to get their feet wet with their huntin dog who is not a purebred.

Winter classes are fun and a great way to help the winter go by quick(er).
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

I would be interested. I suspect others would but are hunting or prepping for hunting.My dog is at the point where he needs to train in a group. I am at a point where I need advice and oversight of someone with more experience than myself.

I would be very interested in getting beyond AKC JH or NAHRA Hunter. We've done walk out blinds, FTP up to 50', some 3 handed casting. I am totally inept on whistle sits and blinds. I am not the best trainer and looking to learn. I'd be happy to bring everything I have to help out. I have a starter pistol, lots of different kinds of bumpers, holding blind, etc. just let me know when and where.

Glad to hear the interest. I'm looking to start about the first of November. I'm like everyone else. I'm out bustin birds.
    Feel free to post if you're interested.
    Further details will be up and coming as I will be working with MSGDA to put this on.
    There are lots of things to train on during the winter. This helps you and your dog get out of the cabin this winter.

I might be interested. I have a versatile dog that needs a lot of retrieving skill.

I would be very interested! I have a black lab with a little husky that I've started to train and go on small hunts with me but she needs work like any dog at a young age would. are mixed dogs accepted?

I would love to get my yellow and chocolate more training count me in
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Please go to the MSGDA website for the latest info and how to sign up.
    Also, if you have any questions about this class you can ask here or ask at the MSGDA website.
    Thanks

I did go ahead and sign up. Looks like it will be on Saturdays. In the valley or Anchorage or a mix of locations? Are we breaking into separate levels depending on where the dogs are at in training? I think you will have a good turn out for the classes. I'm looking forward to getting beyond Hunter and Junior level! Thanks for doing this and using your free time to help us out!

First one or two classes will be indoors in a classroom setting. Afterwards will be outdoors or in an indoor arena. Indoor locations may be in Anchorage or the valley. Most field settings will be in the valley. All are dependent on weather and the condition of the training grounds. Snow, ice and etc.
    Location for the first class will be posted in the next up coming weeks.

This also will be a great time to review or become familiar with....
    Mike Lardy's, Total Retriever Training 2nd edition.
    This is the training format we will be talking a lot about.
    This can be purchased online or can be available out of the MSGDA's club library.

I am signing in today with my 13 months lab Marlin. Were eager to start. Waiting for information on location of the classes.
    Marlin.jpg
    This land is your land, this land is my land

Handsome dog!
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Start date will be Nov 15th. 10am at the Alaska State Fairgrounds. Turn in at the digital sign. Enter at the red gate and follow signs.

First day will be an indoor class room setting where we will meet and greet. Then talk dog training philosophy, terminology and training steps and syllabus. We will discuss what to expect and close with a question an answer.
    Just a reminder that this is an ongoing training format to advance you and your dog to the next level. Whether it be hunting or competition. The plan is to meet each weekend. Some days we will do field work. Other days will be basics / yard drills. Each dog / handler will be given instruction on what to work on according to where they fall into the training program. Some dogs may be solid in some areas but maybe not in others. The goal is to build a proper foundation of basics. Maybe even going back and filling in the "holes" on things that may be missing or just not solid enough. Be ready to do your homework.
    If you need time during the week that also can be arranged. This is available to those wanting more training time or those that missed the weekend cause of other matters or job constraints. I'm flexible, I just don't want anyone to miss the opportunity to learn.
    Please go to the MSGDA website for details on how to sign up.
    Remember , your dog is only as good as the time you put into it.
    Guns Up!! I'll see you soon.

Thanks Baron for the information. I'll see you at golden retriever national field trials in a few days. Good luck & have a great trip down south.

Good to know. Thank you for the information. See you there.
    This land is your land, this land is my land

A reminder that class starts this Saturday.
    Learn how to play the "Game" year round.
    I'll see you there.

Do you have a link to the site so I can sign up?

www.msgda.org is where you can get details and email the webmaster for a spot in the class.