Thread: Gearing up as a begginer

Default Gearing up as a begginer

Hello all. I would like to start by saying I want to get into trapping and the LAST thing I want to do is cross anyone. I do have limited trapping experience (live trapping bobcats) and I am really excited about learning the correct methods of trapping in Alaska. I live in the valley and likely will be trapping somewhere within about four hours of here. (when I find a place to trap) If anyone has any advice for me I would really love to hear it. Plus I am needing the standard trapping equipment and will be looking for hand me downs or salvage stuff if I can find it. I currently only have 29 various leg-holds and am looking to purchase a couple dozen more with some coni's. I am going the mile to try and figure out the process up here on trapping correctly not to educate the critters and/or disturb anyone's lines.

Thanks again and I appreciate the comments.

Send me a PM when you have an area

I definitely will. Thanks

Supporting Member

The Alaska Frontier Trappers Association will be holding a trapping school on October 4th. Anyone interested in details or attending, should contact Josh Hunsaker. PM me for his contact number.
    Last edited by spike9542003@yahoo.com; 09-07-2014 at 00:50. Reason: Typo

Spike, I tried sending you a PM but the system said your inbox is full and will not allow any more messages. Would you mind sending me the contact information via PM? Thanks.

Supporting Member

Sent you a PM with the contact info you requested.

Got it. Thanks

Supporting Member

Will be selling a bunch of my trapping gear, so if you are looking for some more gear, let me know what you need and I will let you know how much.

Sent PM to you Spike

RFJHALL - do you have a partner or would you like one? I am a novice, but I have 12 x 120 conibear, 2 x 220 conibear, 2 x #2 traps, and 4 x muskrat sets. I have dipped my toe into trapping but would like to partner up with someone to help with the learning curve. I also have an airplane that will haul 2 plus whatever we need for predator hunting and hopefully I will have saved up enough to buy a used sled by the end of season. I don't have skis yet, but I am working on finding some. The down side is I have an odd schedule, but I might get a chance to change that a little bit. Let me know if we can work something out.

spike - what do you have left? I need everything.