Thread: How to find land deed in a non taxed area?

Default How to find land deed in a non taxed area?

Quick question, my wife and I visted family this last weekend and her dad was asking me if she had told me much about her land on the Kantishna River. I guess everyone in the family has a piece, all the pieces are very close. My wife had forgotten about it since there are no taxes on it. I know I cant just contact the bureau to get another copy since there are no taxes. Who do I contact? I would really like to actually see what it is and possible build a cabin on it and maybe even create a new moose camp

thanks

Contact the land office at DNR, they can look it up for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacherman View Post
    Quick question, my wife and I visted family this last weekend and her dad was asking me if she had told me much about her land on the Kantishna River. I guess everyone in the family has a piece, all the pieces are very close. My wife had forgotten about it since there are no taxes on it. I know I cant just contact the bureau to get another copy since there are no taxes. Who do I contact? I would really like to actually see what it is and possible build a cabin on it and maybe even create a new moose camp

thanks
    Are you saying your wife does not have a copy of her deed? If not, and if she did not file it with the state registrars office, then you're facing a sticky wicket. You might be able to go to the person or agency who deeded it to her and have the deed recreated....
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Start here:
    http://dnr.alaska.gov/ssd/recoff/sag/NameSearchMenu.cfm

If the deed was recorded it will show up.

I'm sure he's referring to the Remote Recreational parcels that were staked out in the 80's. Assuming they proved up on their staked parcels and completed the purchases through the Alaska DNR office. If they did, then the ADL number and Plat information will be on file and accessible at the Public information office at AK DNR. There is no need to have a actual copy of the Deed, it is a recorded instrument and will be on file in the recorders office if you ever need it.

Quote Originally Posted by KantishnaCabin View Post
    I'm sure he's referring to the Remote Recreational parcels that were staked out in the 80's. Assuming they proved up on their staked parcels and completed the purchases through the Alaska DNR office. If they did, then the ADL number and Plat information will be on file and accessible at the Public information office at AK DNR. There is no need to have a actual copy of the Deed, it is a recorded instrument and will be on file in the recorders office if you ever need it.
    If that's the case, yes. And if so, you can simply look it up online. But if it was a private sale or transfer from another agency, and if she didn't file it with the registrar, then it's not as easy.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Yup, Alaska is a non compliant State when it comes to recording documents. No lands sales contracts are required to be recorded.
    Mortgage companies record to show proof of interest. The State records all land sales and State Patents (or Quit Claim Deeds in the case of Mental Health Lands)

If you have problems navigating the Recorders office site or need some help researching shoot me a pm. I search them on a daily basis.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1