Thread: Logs on the ground

Default Logs on the ground

I cut down about 60 logs for my cabin in August of 2013. I got most of the logs limbed and stacked to dry thinking I would be back this year to start the cabin. I did not make it back due to business. I had 7 logs that were too big to move by myself, I figured these for rafters. Since I could not move them, I left them where they fell. Most of the logs are held off the ground by the limbs which are still attached but the butt end is probably on the ground on all 7 logs. Are these logs still going to be alright next year, summer of 2015?

yes...............

What kinda trees? How dry is "alright"?

Alaska poplar I think would be rotten to the far end within two years, I dunno about Idaho poplar if that is where your cabin site is.

Interior Alaska birch would be moldy at the end touching the ground and probably still in excess of 30% moisture content the rest of the way through as described. If you zipped open the bark on birches they would probably dry out pretty good...

Spruce (and I hope that's what they are) cut in August and the bark left on will still be pretty greenish after only two years. Should be just about right.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

All spruce with the bark left on just north of Healy Ak.
    Whew, I was thinking I might have ruined some good logs. Now I guess I have to wonder how crooked they'll be after laying like that. Still, better than nothing! Thanks guys!