Thread: Who Crashed In Atigun Pass?

Default Who Crashed In Atigun Pass?

News says four in critical condition, no aircraft type or names reported...sounds like Alyeska Pipeline people responded and helped get them to a medevac plane....

Saw that...no idea who. Hopefully they will all be okay.
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

Sounds like it was an Alyeska aircraft from what I've heard.

Just after 1:45 p.m., troopers received a call from Alyeska Pipeline security personnel at Pump Station 4, near Mile 269 on the Dalton Highway, saying they had gotten word of a small plane crash near Atigun Pass.

The security team at Pump Station 4 reported a team of medical personnel heading to the site to assist four victims, all of whom survived the initial crash with injuries. All four victims were transported to a nearby airstrip to be taken to a hospital for treatment, where they were listed in critical condition.

"We don't have anyone on scene yet," said AST spokesperson Beth Ipsen. "A Wildlife Trooper from Cold Foot is being called to the area too, and the security team has medical personnel heading that way."

Investigators with the National Transportation Safety Board have also been notified, and have a team on standby in Anchorage if necessary.

"At this point right now, details are very sketchy. We're working closely with the Alaska State Troopers and also the FAA out of Fairbanks,” said NSTB Investigator Clint Johnson. “At this point right now, we know it was a single engine airplane. Quite frankly we don't know if this is a type of flight we refer to as part 91, which is personal use, or part 135, which would be for hire. There's a little a confusion on that and we'll get to the bottom of that.”
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

FAIRBANKS - Four people were critically injured in a plane crash near Atigun Pass Sunday afternoon, according to Alaska State Troopers.

Troopers received reports of the crash at around 1:45 p.m. Sunday. The report of the incident came from the Alyeska Pipeline Service Company. Alyeska had received the report from a crew working on a bridge near Atigun Pass and had witnessed the plane going down, according to trooper spokesperson Beth Ipsen.

The incident occurred in the North Slope Borough, Ipsen said, at mile 243.5 of the Dalton Highway, not far from the road.

AST dispatched a wildlife trooper to the scene via airplane but by the time the trooper arrived the victims of the crash had already been transported.

Ipsen said Alyeska dispatched a crew including medical first responders to the scene of the crash shortly after it took place and were able to get the victims to a nearby airstrip where a fixed-wing plane operated by an air ambulance service was able to pick them up.

Troopers did not report an updated condition of the passengers beyond critical condition as of Sunday afternoon. Ipsen did not believe troopers planned to release a dispatch on the event since officers were not involved in the rescue attempt.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

There is a photo on FB, shows the wreckage just barely off the road. Wreckage looks be be crumbled badly. Prayers for the injured.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Some friends of mine were passing through Atigun shortly after the crash. Said it looked horrible. Hope they all recover.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

A buddy was there and said it was pretty bad.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hmm...upright...don't see any evidence it did anything other than a hard landing on its belly. Looks like a controlled event, probably the reason they are all alive. Which doesn't mean it wasn't horrible...but could have been a lot worse...
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Hamon View Post
    Hmm...upright...don't see any evidence it did anything other than a hard landing on its belly. Looks like a controlled event, probably the reason they are all alive. Which doesn't mean it wasn't horrible...but could have been a lot worse...
    I've never flown a Navion, but from what I've heard about them it could have also been worse for the occupants had that happened in a different aircraft type.
    Louis Knapp

Louis, that is about the same spot the 170 burned up years ago. Good thing those Navions are built like tanks.