Thread: which one???

Default which one???

When I look through a 3-9x40mm Buckmaster and then a 3-9x40 Monarch UCC I can't really tell any difference. My shooting eye is 20/10 but I can't tell any difference. The Buckmaster is 209.00 and the Monarch is 218.00. Need some help here from any of you who have an opinion they are a lot of scope for not much money, which one would you buy. Or for 429.00 I could get one Monarch SD BDC 3-12x42. All three of the scope are BDC and I want to put one on a Kimber 8400 Montana 30-06.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Go with the Buckmaster so they all match

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorn Hunter View Post
    Go with the Buckmaster so they all match
    Yea, I thought of that. You know my friends thought I was crazy when I said I was going to put a buckmaster on my 300WBY Custom and on my 22-250 Target gray until I shot some groups at 100 and under an inch at 200 with the 300WBY and then they looked throught the scopes and they really were suprised as they look back through their expensive stuff and then look back through mine. One walked away because he has always had a pride thing thinking that the best cost the most and the other one said, "I would not have believed it if I had not seen you shoot at 200yds and then looked through the Buckmaster.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Beartooth,

While I don't have a Buck Master to compare it to, I just went out and did a little comparison among scopes. My Monarch was the brightest and had the best definition. I compared it with a Fullfield II and a couple of lesser scopes. I chose the FF II because it has about the same price point as a Buck Master and claims 95% light transmission. I also compared the Monarch to a higher end Simmons 3x9x50 and a Bushnell Banner Dusk and Dawn 4x12 AO. The resolution of the Monarch was much better than the FF II and while the Simmons and Bushnell would have been passable during legal shooting hours, they would not be as pleasant to use. It's really hard to tell much difference in bright light, but the Monarch really is outstanding in low light because it keeps it's resolution so well. For only a $9 difference I don't think you could go wrong upgrading to the Monarch. I believe that the 3x9x40 is being discontinued so once they are gone the price for the 3.5x10x44 will be an additional $70. No matter what you decide you'll have a nice piece of glass.

Well, I thought about it, I am going to just bit the bullet and buy a Nikon 6.5-20x44 Monarch UCC and I will decide what scope is moved where so it can find a home. it will either be on my 300WBY custom, 30-06 Kimber 8400 Montana, Ruger #1 300WBY, my tuned Savage 7mmSTW or my custom Sako TRG with Lilja barrel 30-06 Ackley improved. Now which one gets the honor I don't know but if you guys have a suggestion let me know, please.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Well here it is and will be here Thursday or Friday 6.5-20x44mm Monarch UCC

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Will it fog up when you need it most? The reason why I ask is because although I realize Bushnell has come a long way since I've last owned one, the last one I had fogged on me and I almost missed a deer. I went with Leupold after that and have never looked back. If it doesn't fog up then I would buy one as well, but I would hate to get another one and have the same thing happen twice..... (not trying to start anything but am genuinly curious if Bushnell has upped their quality)

Oops edited to add... I see we are talking about the Buckmaster sorry for the confusion................

- Clint

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacajun View Post
    Will it fog up when you need it most? The reason why I ask is because although I realize Bushnell has come a long way since I've last owned one, the last one I had fogged on me and I almost missed a deer. I went with Leupold after that and have never looked back. If it doesn't fog up then I would buy one as well, but I would hate to get another one and have the same thing happen twice..... (not trying to start anything but am genuinly curious if Bushnell has upped their quality)

Oops edited to add... I see we are talking about the Buckmaster sorry for the confusion................

- Clint
    It is a Monarch UCC not a Buckmaster and I use Nikon's dry no fog applicator on my other Nikons and it works, tried it out in a driving rain and humid day.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Well here it is and will be here Thursday or Friday 6.5-20x44mm Monarch UCC

Yea, I like my 300WBY mag. Custom shooting a 180gr TSX moving between 3260 and 3287fps and when I am +3.5" high at 100 good to -5" at 400 then hold on shoulder and good to -13.5" at 500 on deer size game and on top of all of that a few good extra minutes at dawn and dusk. Yea, it is going on my 300WBY mag.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Thumbs down

Beartooth,

After spending 6 hrs. at the range today I think you made a great choice with the Monarch. After my range session I am totally impressed by my 3x9. Not only was it bright but the clarity was unbelievable. At max power I could read the little numbers on the Sight-N-See target at 100 yards. There was no need to use a spotting scope except for the one that I put almost through the same hole. (330-06 Encore) My load was .3 gr. under max for Varget, Hornady 250 SP. This barrel was one of the last ones I sighted in at 100 yards and my shooting eye was getting tired. It got untired in hurry when I looked through the Monarch. I thought the 4200 Elite's resolution was really good also. I don't think I made a mistake in buying Burris, Sightron, and Leupold scopes either considering what I paid for them. If I hadn't bought the Monarch I'd have been more than happy with the combination of brightness and resolution they provided. The Sightron is the brightest to my eyes, but can't be focused to be as absolutely sharp as the Monarch. Today I learned how resolution definitely trumps magnification, and that there is good resolution and great resolution. The surprise of the day was the cheapy Simmons Blazer on the Savage 30-06 I just got to replace the rifle that was shot. The resolution was nearly the equal of scopes costing 5 times as much and the adjustments were spot on and repeatable. As Gomer Pyle used to say, "Surprise, surprise, surprise!" I think they are brighter and clearer than a VX I. That's not to say they are nearly as durable. I got lucky with the replacement 06 and got a shooter. Thanks for bringing the Nikon's to my attention. I'll probably finish my sighting in Friday. Next time I'll take a digital camera and see if I can get some groups worth talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer55 View Post
    Beartooth,

After spending 6 hrs. at the range today I think you made a great choice with the Monarch. After my range session I am totally impressed by my 3x9. Not only was it bright but the clarity was unbelievable. At max power I could read the little numbers on the Sight-N-See target at 100 yards. There was no need to use a spotting scope except for the one that I put almost through the same hole. (330-06 Encore) My load was .3 gr. under max for Varget, Hornady 250 SP. This barrel was one of the last ones I sighted in at 100 yards and my shooting eye was getting tired. It got untired in hurry when I looked through the Monarch. I thought the 4200 Elite's resolution was really good also. I don't think I made a mistake in buying Burris, Sightron, and Leupold scopes either considering what I paid for them. If I hadn't bought the Monarch I'd have been more than happy with the combination of brightness and resolution they provided. The Sightron is the brightest to my eyes, but can't be focused to be as absolutely sharp as the Monarch. Today I learned how resolution definitely trumps magnification, and that there is good resolution and great resolution. The surprise of the day was the cheapy Simmons Blazer on the Savage 30-06 I just got to replace the rifle that was shot. The resolution was nearly the equal of scopes costing 5 times as much and the adjustments were spot on and repeatable. As Gomer Pyle used to say, "Surprise, surprise, surprise!" I think they are brighter and clearer than a VX I. That's not to say they are nearly as durable. I got lucky with the replacement 06 and got a shooter. Thanks for bringing the Nikon's to my attention. I'll probably finish my sighting in Friday. Next time I'll take a digital camera and see if I can get some groups worth talking about.
    Hey, man, have a good time and I will be looking for some pictures.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Well I bought a refurbished Monarch with a 90day limited warranty. Well, when I got it it looked brand new. I put it on my rifle and started to bore sight and I tried to focus it so I moved the ring from 6.5 to 20power and nothing happen. I called them they did not have another one. So I ended up buying new 6-18x40mm Buckmaster SF BDC because right now I can't afford a new Monarch in the power range I need. So I got rained on. I am sure it will not be the last time I will be rained on. Sure is disappointing considering I really wanted a Monarch. Oh, well I learned a valuable lesson, I will never buy a refurbished one again. I will just have to save up and one day buy a new SF BDC Monarch of the power I want. Well let me go and get over this. I think I will take Nancy out to eat. Even she felt sorry for me. later
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Shucks. At least it's only six months until Christmas.

I don't have the time or patience for them to fix it and then when they have time to send it finally to me. I really like the 6-18x40mm buckmaster on my target rifle. Anyway I have so much to do this summer that my reloading and shooting time will be very limited before I go hunting in Arizona all I have time for is practicing with my 180gr TSX load and the BDC on my scope at 300,400,500,600. I don't have time to mess around with waiting for and if or when it would be replaced.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS