Thread: Broken valve stem

Default Broken valve stem

I've been thinking about what would happen if a tree limb broke off my valve stem. I tried to come up with a valve stem that could be put in from the outside, or a plug, to no avail. In the passed I welded a piece of metal in front on valve to protect it. Does anybody have a better idea?

You have to break the tire off the rim and just put in a new stem. I carry two with me all the time with the tool to pull them into place. the hard part is getting the tire to seal back on the rim if dirty. Just take your time. I also carry a elect air pump and a plug kit, and ratchet strap to get the tire to seal on the rim.

I have a hell of a time braking the bead at home, I don't know how you can do it in the field. You must be an animal. LOL

I've had good success using, gas, or starting fluid to blow up the tires to set the bead. If you want to try it I can give you some pointers.

Metal Valve stems, but you'll need to break the bead to put them on one side of the rim. I lost two valve stems one night heading to hunting camp about 7-8 years ago. Ever since we run metal valve stems and no problems.

Flip your rims and run the valve stems on the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    Flip your rims and run the valve stems on the inside.
    This won't work on many ATV's with Disk brakes. They will hit.