Thread: Late season silvers

Default Late season silvers

How tasty are the late season silver's that have turned red?

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowstone View Post
    I prefer not to eat them.. My line in the sand is when they have more of a red tint than silver. I caught some monster silvers this morning that were just a bit to gone for me... I'm sure the next guy will tell you something a bit different. I guess the best advice would be to kill one that's turning and see if you like them. Solid red.. definitely not for me.

yuck...only the silver colored or slightly blush ones for me

Normally, as far as table fare goes, you really don't want to eat a fish that is totally red. Just turning, blush, with still some chrome is one thing, totally red is another. That said, there are those that do in fact eat them. I also know those that don't mind them for smoking....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I wouldn't eat a Salmon that is passed the blush stage; not choice table fare. That being said, all 'late season silvers' are not blush or dark. I have caught chrome bright coho throughout the month of October. They are usually bigger that time of year also. October is one of the best times to freshwater fish cohos down here.

When it comes to any blushed salmon, especially silvers, I will only keep the males. The meat in females will turn pale much quicker than a male's. The eggs in the females really take the pigment out of the meat pretty quick once they start to blush. The firmness in the meat follows suit.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Of the three I keep (king, sockeye, silver) the silver is the one that I have had the worst luck with that have any kind of tinge of blush to them. Kept several on a float trip that just barely had a blush, and was very disappointed in their fare on the fire. Have eaten plenty of sockeyes and kings with more blush than those ho's had and they all ate just fine for what they were.

It's less about the date than what they look like, if you can find some of these SE runs that come in way late and hold in the rivers, they will be decent eating til they finally decide to turn....

Don't forget water temp plays a part in this as well, the colder the water the safer you are.

About the same opinion as others. Keep fishing to cull the blush ones, keep the chrome. Blush bucks...okay..if you really need some meat for the freezer or smoker. One year the rivers on POW stayed low and the silvers stayed in the salt and turned dark in the ocean. We also have had some blush ones with sea lice still attached in the rivers which means less than a day or so out of the ocean. Should be enough good intel in the replies to make a good call . If nothing else, you ARE fishing and might have to beg or buy your meat or go hunting.