Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silver bite in Seward today

Default Silver bite in Seward today

Just got the call that Silver fishing was excellent for several charters and some friends. Of course it is the weekend that I decided to relax. LOL

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I can't imagine where they found them, must have been somewhere I have yet to look.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Were they inside the bay - way inside?

We got 3 within the first 5 minutes fishing Derby Cove Saturday morning and thought we were going to limit early, then only 2 in the next 5 hours fishing several areas near the head of the bay before the afternoon wind came up. They're there and jumping, getting them to bite is another thing.

Did very well yesterday on the outside of Cheval Island about a 1/3 of the way to Pilot Rock...just out in the open/deep water. The fish were big with all of them being over 12#s and some pushing over 15#s. 6'+ seas but the fish didn't care. All but one were caught on J-Plugs run naked at 3mph at 50'.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Outside was ruff today so fished head of the bay area. It produced well today for us. Average size was 10lbs. One around 15lbs. lots of trash and sticks in the water.

"Ruff" is right... I went down yesterday to fish with my brother in law on his boat...we tried to poke our head out of the bay but we didn't even get very close to Cape Resurrection. Turned back by the 8-10 footers rolling in from the SE. We mooched and picked up a few at the SW corner of Fox, and few more north of Lowell Point. Four guys, seven fish. They were almost all deep...60' or deeper. From watching the other boats, it seemed the other moochers were doing better than the trollers.
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Anyone hear if the silver numbers are still good this week in Resurrection Bay? The weather looked good for sat/sun and I was thinking it would be another good trolling weekend.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Deak View Post
    Anyone hear if the silver numbers are still good this week in Resurrection Bay? The weather looked good for sat/sun and I was thinking it would be another good trolling weekend.
    We're going to give it a whirl tomorrow.

same here. got my gear ready for some snagging tomorrow. hopefully we dont go home empty handed or else my lady will not stop talking the whole ride home LOL

How's it going down that way? just got off work headed that way soon

If your into snagging you will do well, lots of fish around. If you are into actually catching biting fish it's tough to find a spot amongst all of the flying treble hooks. We fished for about 20 mins and my wife got 2 on a spinner before my patients were done.

Default The Flying Treble Hooks....isn't that...

Quote Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
    If your into snagging you will do well, lots of fish around. If you are into actually catching biting fish it's tough to find a spot amongst all of the flying treble hooks. We fished for about 20 mins and my wife got 2 on a spinner before my patients were done.
    THE FLYING TREBLE HOOKS....isn't that the punk rock Goth band that is so into piercings?

Not into snagging myself but have foul hooked a few hot Silvers in my time and it's really a chore to over power one to the shore that you're releasing. When they're in thick I swap out trebles for single siwash hooks.

Hope everyone wears thick clothes and eye protection.

glad to hear they finally showed.

only a week to go and I'm in AK. Yee haaa!

Friday we salyed the salmon. 12 fish in 2 hours snagging from the boat at the mouth of the harbor.
    Saturday, there were too many people on shore with attitudes, and no brains. They were walking out to beyond where the fish congregate trying.

Personally I think they drove the fish out. The fishing will probably be better when the testosterone levels subside.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinaboy View Post
    THE FLYING TREBLE HOOKS....isn't that the punk rock Goth band that is so into piercings?

Not into snagging myself but have foul hooked a few hot Silvers in my time and it's really a chore to over power one to the shore that you're releasing. When they're in thick I swap out trebles for single siwash hooks.

Hope everyone wears thick clothes and eye protection.

glad to hear they finally showed.

only a week to go and I'm in AK. Yee haaa!
    The shore fishery in Seward could be such a great fishery is snagging was not allowed. Tons of fish, lots of opportunity for families to actually catch fish, but there is no way I would ever allow my kid to fish down there with all those treble hooks flying around. My wife casted spinners and hooked 2 fish in 20 minutes so clearly they will bite. We were crowded out by yahoos who saw her get the fish and over ran us with snagging gear. After watching today I wonder how a lot of people can even tie their own shoes.

Took one look at the hundreds of people armed with weighted hooks and went back to camp for a nap. It got a little insane today.

Quote Originally Posted by kevins View Post
    Friday we salyed the salmon. 12 fish in 2 hours snagging from the boat at the mouth of the harbor.
    Saturday, there were too many people on shore with attitudes, and no brains. They were walking out to beyond where the fish congregate trying.

Personally I think they drove the fish out. The fishing will probably be better when the testosterone levels subside.
    Well I just returned from our day trip down there. Got into town a little after 12pm and fished until 3. Hooked 3 abut only landed 2. I witnessed those yahoos from shore yelling at the folks on the boat because they said the boat folks were in too close. People need to chill and just enjoy fishing.

Those flying treble hooks are no joke so watch out

Evening low and rising tide the fish flooded in and the crowd was much smaller up until dark. People cleaned up easily. Those wading out were quickly redirected back to shore to get them out of the middle of the school of fish. Not my style of fishing, but if you just want to load the freezer there are still a good number of fish. Timing the tide is important. My father-in-law got an easy limit.

I spent the evening with my son in the youth fishery area. Other than some yahoos snagging it was a pretty well behaved group of kids and parents. Pretty cool deal, really. Getting the silvers to bite was a challenge, but my 9-year old son had some epic battles... Boy with Zebco vs. Big, ticked off tail-snagged silver. We played by the rules and let the foul hooked fish go. Not all parents followed suit, but it seemed like the better lesson to impart to me. Freakishly beautiful and warm day any time of year, let alone September. High 60's and sunny... Can't complain.

Quote Originally Posted by kevins View Post

Those people who waded out 20-30 feet from shore were total morons! That is exactly where the fish wanted to be schooled up so that everyone from the beach could get a crack at them. Of all the times we could have used a false tsunami alarm...

Had a charter today for butts and rocks. We went to day harbor. There were schools of fresh dime bright silvers hitting on top and following every fish we brought up. Variety was fun. We limited on butts. 40-17 lbs. lost 2 BIG fish. Caught dog sharks, p cod, flounder, silvers, black rocks, butts, and my father in law caught a 68 lb octopus with 9 tentacles. Water out there was smooth as a duck pond, 70 degrees ( we all got burnt) and sunny as hell. What a day! And I managed 2 silvers Saturday from the snag fishery. Hasn't changed at all from when I did it 15 years ago as a young kid. Dangerous game for sure. People are reckless and respectless.

Release Lake Trout

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast