Thread: Cabela's Customer Service Impressed Me!

Default Cabela's Customer Service Impressed Me!

I had a pair of Cabela's/Meindl boots that I bought over 10 years ago. I've put several hundred miles on them through countless adventures. Last summer I noticed some delamination between the Vibram sole and mid-sole. A little Shoe Goo fixed them for a few shorter backpack trips and a Chillkoot Pass trip. They finally gave up this year in the middle of a 112 mile Boy Scout backpack trip across Philmont Scout Ranch in NM.

I wasn't about to try and buy new, unbroken-in boots in the middle of a long trip so I did my best with a sewing awl and some more Shoe Goo. That worked for a couple of days, but even that couldn't take the stress of the rocky trail. They finally exploded. With few options left I resorted to a length of parachute cord and crossed fingers. They made it to the end thankfully. The boys were trying to convince me to tie them together and throw them over Philmont's welcome arch with other numerous pairs of worn-out boots. I declined thinking I remembered they had a lifetime warranty or such. I'm glad I kept them!

The other day I went into Cabela's, almost too embarrassed to ask, and inquired about the warranty on the boots. They looked up my old order (under a different address), looked up the current model, and then refunded my original purchase price. To say I was impressed was an understatement! I'm not sure I'll buy the same boot due to mixed reviews of the current Meindls, but they sure made me a believer in their warranty.

I have never had a problems returning something to Cabela's and getting a refund or the item replaced. I will shop Cablea's over Bass Pro any day.

The only company I can recall treating me that good is Orvis. Had a float tube that I took & floated down a river in the snow hunting ducks. After floating a mile our two, shooting a duck or two, I started carrying the tube back to the truck. It didn't take long to wear my shoulders out, and being the catamaran variety, a determined it would tow quite nicely behind me as a sled. It did, but I didn't notice until I got to the truck that the crusty snow was wearing through the Cordura on the bottom of the pontoons. A fishing trip or two later, the vinyl blew out the Cordura. I called Orvis, told the whole story & asked if it might be possible, the fault having been my own, to just buy the pontoon cover. They put me on hold for a few minutes, then picked back up with this to say: Sorry, but we don't have that particular model available in our warehouse, but have located one in an Orvis store in Montana. They're shipping it to you now, along with a shipping label to return your defunct tube to us. Two days later I had a brand new float tube. I determined is tell that sort as often as I had the opportunity, and would buy from Orvis whenever possible going forward. Customer service like that can be hard to find, very few companies realize the benefits it can bring in customer loyalty.
    Nice to hear that a now local retailer is one of the few.

I've received similar service from St Croix on my fly rod. I've needed repairs twice, and this summer they sent me a brand new, upgraded rod in honor of my lifetime warranty. Pretty awesome company to work with.

I concur. they treat you well with returns, especially if it has the cabelas name on it.

Had the opposite with St Croix. Had a fighting butt fall off my 'Legend Ultra' while fighting a red several years ago. They told me to epoxy it back on. Didn't get fixed until the drag stripped out the following summer, I sent both in for repair during the red run. They were supposed to use MY FedEx acct. to return it to me overnight. Called twice to check on it, both times confirming they would overnight it to me when it was ready. After two weeks, the run was nearing its end, I was pretty irritated. Finally they told me they had sent it UPS ground. Two weeks later, I had my rod & reel back... at least it was in time for silvers I guess.

You had a pair of boots last ten years? Amazing I must say. I am lucky to get 2 years out of any boot. Never would of occurred to me to see if a company would replace boots that old. Maybe Cabelas will replace my worn out underwear too. They treat the customer well.

Cabela's as well did right by me. Lost a Penn trolling reel, Cablea's rod and the Cabelas rod holder... I watched the rod holder open a large crack in the housing and very quickly the whole setup hopped off the gunwale into the drink.

I decided to write a nice letter to Cabela's explaining my feelings about the defective rod holder... I got a luke warm reply stating they were sorry for my loss, but they could not do anything for me. I replied again, this time more directly and that moved my letter to a manager, which resulted in a replacement for all items. Made me feel good...as I did and still do use them for my outdoor gear.

I have no poor experiences with either Cabelas or Bass Pro. Both have done good for me thus far. One thing that lifts Bass Pro above Cabelas for me is Bass Pro gives a 10% discount to military whereas Cabelas yanked their discount long ago. Until I have a less than satisfactory experience with Bass Pro, I will support them for supporting our military personnel.

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

Was in Cabela's a few days ago. They have posters up around the store that says they give a 5% discount to current military.

They often have employee discounts for any one in uniformed service. Military, law enforcement, fire, EMS, and veterans. It is around 30% off.

They exchanged a 15 year old guide model tent for me about a month ago, no questions asked. Next up will be a vacuum packer, hopefully they will be as kind with that.

That's great that Cabelas returned your boots and tent and all that but how can you guys bring yourself to return 10+ year old items?? Not trying to be a jerk, I just want to see what your reasoning is. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Geneme03 View Post
    That's great that Cabelas returned your boots and tent and all that but how can you guys bring yourself to return 10+ year old items?? Not trying to be a jerk, I just want to see what your reasoning is. Thanks.
    I didn't intend to return it. The main entry zipper was failing and I was bringing it in to see if they could assist in getting it repaired. I fully expected to pay to have them repair it. They offered to replace the tent. Cabela's is known for their service and backing of their products, they need to do that to offset their slightly higher pricing. For me, the zipper issue was a material defect, not a "use" related failure. The tent only sees use once of twice a year on average now, much more when we first received it.

These were expensive boots to begin with. The soles themselves still had plenty of life left in them but the adhesive used to hold them to the midsole failed. Somebody else I knew had he same problem. If they had not been advertised with Cabela's lifetime guarantee I would not have attempted a return. However, the guarantee was part of what led me to buy them so I took advantage of it.

That's good to know. I bought a pair of Meindels from cabelas 5 years ago. They are holding strong after a few sheep hunts and many caribou/moose hunts. Very impressed with the boot. Other boots I have tried in the past in the $150-200 range lasted me only 2 years at best. So the $3-400 Meindels are a great deal I think! Cabelas has always backed their products. Had a friend crush a pair of his $800 binocs with cabelas name on it. They exchanged them with no questions asked!

So yesterday I returned my Cabelas Meindel Alaska Hunters. The insides of the boot were rubbing my toes due to some of the shanks in the toes pushing back into the boot. I bought them in 2008.

The guy at customer service said no problem on replacing them, but you will need to pay the difference, plus shipping. I complained and said I already bought them once, why do I need to buy them again. He said company policy. the boots had gone up $60 in price since 2008.

Well I bite the bullet and ordered them as I need a new pair, but I will be on the phone this evening with customer support.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am