Thread: 18/0 Halibut Hook Thru My Finger

Default 18/0 Halibut Hook Thru My Finger

Out fishing 2 1/2 weeks ago and was attempting to remove the leader from a 115 lb halibut while it was harpooned and tied off to my boat. It came back to life and one of my sticky sharp hooks entered my index finger mid-way and came out the tip.
    Just happened to have a video camera running for the entirity of the fish coming in, the "hooking" and me trying to file away the barb to remove it.
    Maybe if you watch you will learn some of what NOT to do!
    Enjoy
    http://youtu.be/9W2BQYbeVuE

Break out the bolt cutter.

As bad as that was, you could have been this guy.

What a joke.....are you kidding me....ridiculous.....

dude wth, your nuts! Let me just file this hook down.
    Diamond Justice MO 70lbs
    Shut-up And Hunt

Quote Originally Posted by TeXXaN View Post
    dude wth, your nuts! Let me just file this hook down.

I had to work with what I had! HaHa
    I've kept that hook as a souvenir.

Probably will add bolt cutters to the boat along with all the other crap we carry that weighs us down. We carry a body stapler on board too, in the first aid kit, but haven't needed it yet.

Didn't they have a place in Seward to stich it up? or were you heading home to Anchorage anyway? I put a 12/0 hook through the top of my hand but my buddy was able to cut the hook off and we just backed it out. Never had to do anything other than a band aid. I was lucky!

Holy cow man!!! You are one tough dude!! Awesome!!! You are the kind of guy I love to fish with, nothing can stop you from staying out there!!

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Didn't they have a place in Seward to stich it up? or were you heading home to Anchorage anyway? I put a 12/0 hook through the top of my hand but my buddy was able to cut the hook off and we just backed it out. Never had to do anything other than a band aid. I was lucky!
    Yeah, thought about stopping at the Seward or Soldotna ER, but I knew Anchorage had a hand surgeon on call. Home is Sterling. I didn't have a simple puncture. The halibut thrashed and the entry tore. I wasn't sure if there was tendon damage. The biggest part of the decision was that the same hand had already had surgery on it before for an infection from a bear cleaning "incident" six years ago.

We stayed out and fished 4 more hours, ER Doc said kind of a bad decision! He said guidelines are not to stitch if greater than 6 hours past the injury. So..he stitched anyway, but loosely to let it drain.

Good work! Now you know to just unsnap the leader. Col oto watch you handle to surgery and maintain the calm so others didn't freak out.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Wack him in the head a couple fo times next time and they quit thrashing
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

I have a pair of snap on cable clips... That cut thur that like butter. I'll post the item number later tonight. Are half the size of your cutters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Tough lesson I learned after burying a treble hook in the palm of my hand trying to dispatch a ling cod. Before removing any hook I make sure the hooked fish is completely and most certainly of the dead variety!
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    I have a pair of snap on cable clips... That cut thur that like butter. I'll post the item number later tonight. Are half the size of your cutters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I want to see them!!!!

On big halibut I put a rope on them and tie them in a C with head towards tail so they cant thrash. Cleat them and put them overboard with a gill cut. I use a small piece of PVC pipe with a loop on one end for the tail, then slip the open end of rope folded over open end of pipe, through the gill plate and out mouth. Remove pipe and tie halibut into a C. And cleat it then you can remove hooks safely. Using the pipe keeps your hands away from teeth and hooks.

I have a t-shirt that says "I was hooked and released at Providence Hospital in Seward, Alaska"...thanks to a spiny dogfish, a stout stainless steel J-hook, and a little inattentiveness on my part.
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

cohos have been my undoing several times. They spin on the way in and wrap themselves in the line. I've give a not so perfect "bonk", and then proceed to unwrap them. A couple of flops and next thing you know you are pulling a 3/0 gamakasu out of your hand.

A 3/0 Gamakastu.....or Gama Got You ...as I've heard them called before.....Kinda like this one.

Big Coho buck had been caught on the ocean with a mooching rig and snapped the line. Front hook was in its lower jaw securely. Trailing hook was loose, not embedded, back near the gill plate.

So I caught the fish on a spinner in the Klawock, reeled him in, bonked him HARD over the eye, saw the shivers and thought he's done.

Then I untangled the fish from the net and noticed the mooching rig. How about that I thought and slid the coho up on the bank about 6 feet and to my left so that I could untangle the lure which had pulled from its mouth during the net job.

Took some bit of unthreading the treble out the net...when the fish "revives" and flops. I looked up and think - enhhh, fish needs another bonking....about then it flopped three or four more times to cover the 6 feet down the bank and 4 feet to the right and flips right onto the net where my hands are and BAM! the trailer hook catapults right into my left middle finger, YEOW! then the coho "sets" the hook by continuing to flop down the bank with me in tow.

#$@%#!!! this is stinging!! I dove on the fish and pinned it with my knee pulled the knife out of my vest, FLICK! Slice! done!

Bonked that sucker good and headed to the clinic because the hook went through some tough tissue and the point came up into my fingernail on the opposite side of the entrance.

I tell ya the shot hurt way worse than the hook. My lovely doctor lady interning there couldn't get a good grip on it with the pliers from the font of the table so she moved around to my side. Before she got there, I pulled it out myself and said "look, you must have loosened it"

Kept the hook in my 2003 photo album.

A 3/0 Gama-Got-You......

Still pales in comparison to the 18/0 circle hook though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

it looked like you were fishing with 2 hooks, was it the trailer hook that got you?
    Boatless