Thread: Beyond Flesh...

Default Beyond Flesh...

I saw a nifty program on the Travel Channel about a guy who was sampling all kind of off-beat foods, and it got me wondering if there were edible parts of Alaska's fish that were off-beat and enjoyed.

I know we do the halibut cheeks, and certainly the salmon roe caviar, but is there other stuff out there that is getting consumed that is of interest?

In Florida, I sometimes smoke mullet sperm sacs and serve it on a cracker. Great flavor, rich, and reminicent of a good pate; anyone do this with salmon?

And what about halibut liver?

In New England, cod tongues are a delicacy. What about the Pacific cod up here?

Sure would appreciate any known data on this...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Default Trout stomach

I was talking to a Native gentleman in downtown Anchorage last week and we got to talking fishing. He said they like to scrape out the contents of trout stomachs and eat the stomachs themselves. A little hardcore for me, but I guess it qualifies as "off-beat"... )
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default I can stomach it!

I will try it in September with Dolly Varden Char. My bet is that it will texture like a fried clam, but taste is yet to be discovered...

Thumbs up

Try milt sliced thin, rolled in flour, and fried in butter. Use only milt sacs that are hard and firm.
    Last edited by Marcus; 03-13-2007 at 08:14.

Personally, I hope that I catch enough of the"real stuff" so I don't have an inclination to sample some of the fare you guys are talking about.

Wink

Live a little, y'all. . . Cajuns still love their crawdads, cowboys been eatin' calf fries for better'n a hunderd years, and the Scots have been chowin' down on sheep stomach (haggis) for centuries.

Default yeah, and I did the mountain oysters, too...

Bamff, Alberta, CN; spring of 98; loved 'em...

Default Mmmmm!

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus
    Try milt sliced thin, rolled in flour, and fried in butter. Use only milt sacs that are hard and firm.
    Yeah, the soggy ones that run down your chin when you take a bite... no good.

Here's a recipe: Sperm sack on a stick! Roll it in cornmeal, deep fry, and you have the Alaska Corn Dog! Mmmmm! (or is that "MMMM?")

Here's a bumper sticker for ya: "Eat more milt sacks; 10,000 seagulls can't be wrong. Uh... can they?"

Bleah!

:-Q
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Wink

I recall an old "All In The Family" episode wherein Edith Bunker served beef tongue for dinner for the first time. Archie took one look and said, "I ain't eatin' nothin' that came out of a cow's mouth. Edith, fry me a couple eggs."

Culinary xenophobia?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan
    ... the Alaska Corn Dog! Mmmmm!:-Q
    from WIKIPEDIA: Ingredients: Hot dogs are generally regarded as unhealthy insofar as most have high sodium, fat and nitrate content. Contents can also be questionable, with cheaper types of hot dogs having been known to contain snouts, ears and organ meat blended.

Lasta lalaithamin...