Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Shrimp ID Question

  1. #1

    Default Shrimp ID Question

    These were caught @ about 400 ft. Top one is a Spot, the one under, a Coonstripe. What is the bottom one? I just got a few of them. They were a "deeper reddish" color than the Spots but had no spots. They had a smooth head...not the serrated hump like Coonstripes. Wondering if they might be Sidestripes? But I don't see any stripes. Also wondered if the Spots are born with their spots or if they develop later. In that case, it might just be an immature Spot.


  2. #2
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,229

    Default

    bottom one looks like a humpy to me.

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    bottom one looks like a humpy to me.
    Thought you were messing with me...not hard to do. I'd only heard of Spots, Coon and Sidestripes. Found some pictures of Humpbacks and sure enough...looks just like them! Thanks.

  4. #4
    Member Rob B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska,
    Posts
    3,151

    Default

    Well Shoot. I learn something every day. I thoguth Coons, Sidestipes and Humpies were all the same but called something different. One thing I do know is that they all taste good in a skillet......
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Well Shoot. I learn something every day. I thoguth Coons, Sidestipes and Humpies were all the same but called something different. One thing I do know is that they all taste good in a skillet......
    I've seen sidestripes in stores...they look a lot different than coon stripes...and my understanding, which is always suspect, is that they (sidestripes) are deep water dwellers and that recreational shrimpers seldom catch them since they don't usually fish at those depths. From what I've read today, the humpies are also typically deep water..probably why I catch a very few lost individuals. I'm sure Steve could clarify any right or wrong about my thoughts. Certainly agree that I have never ate a shrimp I didn't like!

  6. #6

    Default

    I also meant to mention...I've heard coonstripes are found in shallower waters, but at 400' plus my ratio in this particular location was 70% coonstripe to 30% spots.

  7. #7
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    I've seen sidestripes in stores...they look a lot different than coon stripes...and my understanding, which is always suspect, is that they (sidestripes) are deep water dwellers and that recreational shrimpers seldom catch them since they don't usually fish at those depths. From what I've read today, the humpies are also typically deep water..probably why I catch a very few lost individuals. I'm sure Steve could clarify any right or wrong about my thoughts. Certainly agree that I have never ate a shrimp I didn't like!
    I think most of the sidestripes are caught by the 2 draggers that fish the sound. I'd bet if we could fish pots with 1/2"x1" wire we'd see a lot more of the other types of shrimp out there(and kill off the fishery sooner).

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I think most of the sidestripes are caught by the 2 draggers that fish the sound. I'd bet if we could fish pots with 1/2"x1" wire we'd see a lot more of the other types of shrimp out there(and kill off the fishery sooner).
    Well, I'm I'm happy with what I get, although I'm not too good at it when I compare my catches to some I see pictured and described from time to time. Doesn't bother me to see smalls skitter away through the mesh and if they are lively, I return them anyway. I'd hope ADF&G wouldn't even consider a tighter mesh.

  9. #9
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    Well, I'm I'm happy with what I get, although I'm not too good at it when I compare my catches to some I see pictured and described from time to time. Doesn't bother me to see smalls skitter away through the mesh and if they are lively, I return them anyway. I'd hope ADF&G wouldn't even consider a tighter mesh.
    I don't think they would change anything in the regs, the fishery is getting mopped up pretty good the way things are right now. IMO the best thing they could do is knock a month off the end of the season for a trial of 5-6 years and see how it effects the fishery.

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •